Strange goldfish behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

troyd75826

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an overstocked 65 gal tank with 7 two-three inch fancies. The largest is a ryukin who has been doing something very strange this week. He has been showing signs of swim bladder, but only at night. During the day, he swims and sinks and floats normally. I usually do feedings once a day at about 7 pm.

I have fed peas, I have fed sinking pellets, and I have fed soaked goldfish flakes as well as spirulina flakes. Nothing has really changed.

My water parameters are fine with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, and < 20 nitrate, pH 7.6. I change 20 gal twice a week. I also added fresh water salt and nothing really seems to help. I have a fluval G6 for filtration, and the tank is cycled.

Should I take the ryukin and place him a 10 gal quarantine tank and just feed him peas exclusively? should I withhold feedings altogether for several days?

Any advice please

If he is acting that way only at night, and you feed him at night, perhaps he is a little gassy after eating?

Could you try soaking the pellets in aquarium water before feeding?

If he is acting that way only at night, and you feed him at night, perhaps he is a little gassy after eating?

Could you try soaking the pellets in aquarium water before feeding?

A very good idea roz. Dry pellets naturally contain and this fish may just be be slower to expel that air than some. Sounds.more like trapped air than swim bladder problems. Soaking the food would eliminate the air from the food.

Back
Top Bottom