Strange request... LOW Tank Temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stickleback

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone advise me if it is possible to maintain the temperature of an aquarium at around 8 degrees celsius?

My children have kept some native fish, sticklebacks, and I think maybe one is a Stone Loach, for 4 months now, and they are taking a great interest in it.
If you are interested, they have a YT channel, and here is one of their Stickleback videos

My problem is, they are keeping the tank in their own shed, which isn't insulated, and I am slightly worried that now that we are coming into winter here in Northern Ireland, the shed might get too cold for them.

I think they might thrive better at around 8-10° Celsius 46-50° F

The only aquarium heaters I can find have a lower limit of 18° C, 64°F

Has anyone else had this problem? Or has anyone any advice?

Thanks in advance :)

That does seem a bit of a problem if you can't get the temperature low because of the heater. Though I have had low winter temp natives but I just kept the temp on the lowest setting.

You might consider two adjustable heaters which can equal to slightly more than what you would need for the tank size. That way if one goes out you have the secondary one. And a back up heater just in case. Cause freezing outside can be freezing lol.

Maybe consider a reptile heat pad under the tank? They're designed to run constantly and shouldn't over heat the tank.

Thanks Autumnsky and Brookster123 ... good suggestions.

A mat under the tank might do it.

Does anyone know if an external thermostat, with a probe in the tank, set to 10°C / 50° F used with a typical aquarium heater would work, or would it trip the heater on and off too much and ruin it?

We would probably only need it for the winter months.

Solution!

I'm going for an external temperature controller, which has a probe in the tank, and which will turn any heater plugged into it off, when the reguired temp is reached. It even can be set below 0°C

Looking forward to seeing it in action!

Back
Top Bottom