Turtle pond project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Starting a thread to show my turtle pond progress!
We started building it this weekend and are pretty much done for now. We definitely plan to add some type of filter system/waterfall/fountain so stay tuned!
Will add pics in the next post!

Start to (almost) finish

Here's the space we decided to use...
4BicF80.jpg

Cleared out debri and started digging our hole for the pond...
pOsDIqy.jpg

It took awhile to get the hole just right. We couldn't decide on how flush we wanted it. :ermm: Also, check out the green turtle in the back- how cute is he! I saw him at the garden store when we went to buy some supplies and couldn't resist! :D
LUN7WyT.jpg

Ok so we got the pond in the ground. Filled it up with hiding places, rocks, and a basking area. Put some lava rock and a fence around the area. The plant you see in the middle there is a hasta. It will provide some shade over the pond. We will probably have to keep it trimmed- need to make sure the basking area gets full sun.
ouTvuTa.jpg

QdaeWHS.jpg

fHG40zo.jpg

Future plans

My next goal is to get a waterfall/filter/fountain set up. We put in a heater last night so the water will stay warm at night (it still gets down in the 40-50's right now). We will be bringing the turtle inside at night time until we can get some type of wire topper built to protect him at nights. Once we have that built, he will stay outside 24/7. We will not be wintering him outside as we live in Iowa so it gets nasty cold. We have decided to buy him his own tank for the winter months so he can stay inside. If you've seen my other posts you know that we used to house him in a 72G but decided he needs his own space- so this is step 1!
I also want to work on getting some of those cords/wires bundled up, hidden, or removed. I think they are so ugly! They are not hindering anything- just look ugly. :facepalm:
Once he gets bigger I plan on getting a bigger pond and allowing him to free range the entire area there. Can't wait to see what the future holds for this little guy- it's been a fun adventure so far!

Looks great!

Just so you know, turtles are amazing climbers, and he will be over that fence in no time.

Had to change the basking area because the little stink climbed right out of the tub. Moved everything away from the sides of tub so he can't climb out now. Thankfully the fence kept him contained! It wasnt really meant to keep him in- didn't plan on him coming out of tub just yet!
waEWyQ6.jpg

Looks great!

Just so you know, turtles are amazing climbers, and he will be over that fence in no time.

He didn't manage to climb the fence today when he got out (wasnt meant to be out of tub) but will def take that into consideration for the future! I do plan on letting him have free range of the entire area someday and will make sure I get the right fencing.

Oh how cute!!!

He is so stinkin cute! I discovered he likes to spend some time outside of the pond. He likes to wander around in the lava rocks and play in the big plant. He will swim up to the side of the pond and start waving his little arms at me to come out, just like a kid saying "pick me up!".

I can relate to the waving arms shelly my painted turtle knows how to get out by knocking off the lid when she waves her arms wildly!

I rescued a turtle (cooter) from a neighbor (people don't realize how big turtles can get) and keep him in an indoor pond setup built out of a 60 gallon kid pool. Just make sure you get a heat lamp and uvb light for your indoor winter setup as they need a basking area out of the water.

The pond looks great!Image%20(1).jpgImage%20(2).jpg

I rescued a turtle (cooter) from a neighbor (people don't realize how big turtles can get) and keep him in an indoor pond setup built out of a 60 gallon kid pool. Just make sure you get a heat lamp and uvb light for your indoor winter setup as they need a basking area out of the water.

The pond looks great!View attachment 316564View attachment 316567

Oh cool set up!
I do have heat and UVB lamps for him. I used to keep him indoors so still have all his stuff ready for winter!

I know the neighbor behind me had a plastic pond, but I never saw it. Apparently he removed it now that he has grandkids running around. I just saw the it leaning against the fence. It’s the same one you have. I just may ask if he’ll get sell or give it to me.

I know the neighbor behind me had a plastic pond, but I never saw it. Apparently he removed it now that he has grandkids running around. I just saw the it leaning against the fence. It’s the same one you have. I just may ask if he’ll get sell or give it to me.

I love the plastic pond liner we got. We got it from the home & garden store. We were going to use a plastic kiddie pool (like the poster above) but decided to use the pond liner instead. I think either way works great!

I had 2 different shapes and I loved mine too!

Also just a side note, JB Weld Marine will fix a crack or leak! Can use when it is wet. Huge help, when some adult sat on the edge of my plastic pond liner (when it was set up above ground) duh!!! Plastic. Hahahahaha.

Oh no!! Yeah my son wanted to get inside the pond (before we had it in the ground) and I'm like NOPE that is plastic and it will break. LOL
JB weld is awesome! I've never used the marine but that's good to know! Will keep that info in my back pocket in case I ever need to repair.

Back
Top Bottom