Turtle Tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10g tank and was wondering if I could turn it into a turtle tank, or something for my little girl. Some plants, water, rocks ect....

Is this possible?

What things must I take into consideration?

Money??

Equipment?

Thanks! :wink:

PS. The tank has a hood and light.

It's actually pretty easy, just get enough smooth gravel to create a dry land area and a wet area. Then you could use a sandshark for filtration. You just need to make sure to use clean, smooth gravel (ie: coated) because slider turtles have a sensative underbelly. Also, you will need a screen top and basking light.

Just clean it out real good... spread some rocks out along the bottom of the tank, makigng sure to keep one side lower then the other so he can have aplace to get in the water, and place out.

Baring that, fill the tank half full and get one of those corner "islands " that you can suction cup to the glass.

However, I don't know if any turtle that stays small enough for 10gal...of ourse turtles arn't really my thing..

Well we would get a frog or something. I want something easy and cheap. What do you suggest?

Where do you get the gravel?

What is an corner island?

How does the rock stay on the one side?

Thanks.

revhtree, you must come and join us... www.reptileadvice.com
William is right, I don't believe there is any turtle that could stay in a ten gallon tank. Eventually they'd need a larger one. If you are looking for something that your little girl can hold I would suggest something other than an amphibian, possibly a lizard or rodent... But as far as amphibians go, and easy care, firebelly toads and firebelly newts are both good choices. I've had my firebelly toads well over a year and they are doing great with little effort on my part. And they are attractive. If you are pretty sure you will be getting something it might indeed be time to join us at reptile advice. I can find you all sorts of care sheets and info on lots of amphibians. There's at least one other member over there that has firebelly toads and he has a few pictures of his tank as well.

Great Idea, I'll join up tonight! Thanks All for your help. And please continue to respond to this thread if you have advice for me. :wink:

rehv,

You could go with a BABY red eared slider for a 10 gal tank. Granted, you will need to be prepared to move it o a larger tank, because it will get bigger with time. I have two babies (1 yr old each) in a 20 gal long tank, and they will have to be upgraded soon.

I have a couple of things that I think should be braought to your attention though if you plan on getting one.

For one, dont use aquarium gravel. It is too small, and alot of times, the turtles like to pick thorught it, looking for food and such, I have small river rock in my tank. And, they do make aLOT of waste, so don't put down a lot of gravel.

Secoind, your regular tank hood probably isn't going to do good for you. Turtles need heat (around 90 degrees) from the light source that you do provide them so that they can get a chance to FULLY dry off at times. Not havingthis heat can cause things like shell rot, pneumonia, vitamin deficiencies, and other things.

Hm...that is all I can think of now, but I'm sure more will pop up later in my head. When they do, I'll repsond again. If you have any particular questions, you can send me a PM, or email, I'll be happy to helpo you if I can.

Turtles are my thing ya know, (hence the name) so, I will try and talk you into it.... :wink:

Want a real easy and cheap idea?

How does FREE sound?

Go outside and catch a chemeleon.
Thats what I did for my son. He has two in a ten gallon tank.
We just put natural colored gravel in it a small lid to put water in for them.
Put a tight screen lid on the tank and a heat rock inside(buy at the LFS).
We feed them live meal worms also from the LFS and small crickets.

hey revhtree, I've been looking for you at reptile advice... haven't seen you yet..

And "chamelions"... Now, are you two talking about actual chamelions or... anoles, aslo known as american chamelions? I know those anoles are all over the place down there, but for anyone that doesn't have then, they are cheap anyway...

yeah catch some toads/frogs frmo a pond or seomthings.

i thin you might like a crab/crayfish tank :). i dont know if the crayfish need a dry side but the crabs need like sticks sticking out so they can breathe (i think)

those things are pretty cool.

i can buy crayfish around here for like 75 cents. probally 80 with tax.

:) theres dwarf turtles.

have you considered leopard geckos? my teacher had 3 of them in like a 30 gallon tank and they had a baby :)

theres dwarf turtles.

True, but most are hard to find. You could go with a Reeves turtles (Male only, the female will get large), or a musk turtles(very hardy). In my opinion though, get yourself a red-eared slider. They are awesome, hardy, and easy to find...but WILL grow large....around 10 inch carcapace diameter. This takes a while of course...a few years, but you need to be prepared to get larger tanks if you get one, or maybe even two :wink:

Let us know what you finally decide on rehv.

I don't think he ever did tell anyone if he decided on anything... and more importantly, why haven't you signed up at www.reptileadvice.com yet rev? You afraid of having more than one addiction? :lol: :lol: :lol:
seriously though, i have been curious as to what, if anything, you decided on...

I am sorry not to get back with all of you on this. Yes Millipede :oops: I havent signed up on reptile advice yet. The turtle tank has been temp. put on hold. My little girl wanted a cat instead. No offense to all the cat lovers out there, but, :evil: .

You have all given me great advice, that I will more than likely use in the future. As for now it's just the cat's meow. :? (did I say that) Anyway, Thanks.

Oh and millipede your right I am afraid of another addiction!!!! 8O 8O

Well, that's a cryin' shame rehv :wink:

But, it is what makes your daughter happy that matters, so good luck with the cat!
I've got 8, so I can sympathize, haha.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom