360 gallon FOWLR build!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin144

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I'm in the process of setting up a 72 by 31.5 by 36.5 custom saltwater aquarium. This is my biggest build so I have some questions. What all do I need filtration wise? I'm looking at running a reef octopus 300int protein skimmer rated for 600 gallons in a 90 gallon DIY sump. Also I'm looking t getting About 500 lbs of dry rock and seed it with live. But what else should I be looking into? Should I do a refugium? Any tips or advice? Very open to any and all suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also I'm looking at doing two 36' aquaticlife edge LED lighting systems! Would those work?

If it's fowlr only then any lights will do. :) Just up to you about how much light you want in the tank and the coverage you want. I prefer to cover a whole tank with light so I would get a fixture(s) that will go completely across.

I think you might be over shooting with the rockjust a little. Typically in a fowlr that large you will want large fish, so the stacking of the huge amounts of rock like for a reef arent really necessary. You want there to be a good amount of open space for swimming of large fish.

If it were me, I would start with say 300 lbs and go from there. You can always add base rock after with no ill effects. It;s the live rock that you dont want to add after a cycle has been completed as it can cause a mini parameter spike, though with a 360g that probably wouldnt even affect the overall tanks parameters.

Sounds like a great build, I wish I could go from my 180g up to a 300+ gallon tank. Sooo much fun!!

Any ideas on your stock list? And are you 100% certain you wont go reef? That will determine the lighting needed as well.

I'm 100% it won't be a complete reef tank, I might grow some small mushrooms and such but not a reef tank. Closer to FOWLR but maybe a mixed reef overtime.

So your saying that the two 36' fixtures wouldnt be enough to complete light the tank? I know they would stretch the whole length. I just didn't know if they would have enough output.

And I planed on putting a lot of the rock in the sump or a bonus refugium. I'm just trying to overkill with filtration, because I'm sure I will be heavy stocking the tank. Is that skimmer good enough to filter the tank on its own?
And I've done some thinking on stocking but I'm not locked in yet? Any suggestions? I want a large angel and some big tangs! My only big fish I'm sold on so far is a sail fin tang! Other than that I've just researched a lot of different types!

a couple hundred pounds of rock and that skimmer and you should be fine. I suggest getting the fish small and watching them grow. How big are you expecting to buy these fish? This tank you are setting up can be overstocked like any other. The large angels are not reef safe and will may devour your corals.

I plan on buying fish smaller and growing out, no huge plans yet other than a nice angel and some tangs! So you think my filtration would be enough for a heavy stocking?

Also how big of a return pump should I be looking at?

Yes, within reason. Still though, excessive feeding may end up showing itself as elevated nitrates from detritus accumulation inside the DT. Good flow and reasonable feeding and I don't see any reason why you couldn't heavily stock this tank.

Also how big of a return pump should I be looking at?

What is your overflow(s) rated for? I used a mag 24 on my 195 with 125 gallon sump and it was a nice amount of flow. Anything over1500 gph I think would be fine. All the return needs to do is fed the components in the sump. You aren't going to use it for flow really.

Ok the tank has two overflow boxes, and I was looking at going with something pushing about 4000gph? Is thT too much

Yeah, you don't need all that. Flow will be achieved by power heads inside the tank. two vortechs or hoopty jebao pumps should be good. What size bulkheads are the ones for drains? 1" or 1.5"?

I'm guessing it will be 1.5's but the tank is being built still. So how big of a pump should I be looking for? I planed on having a few power heads just to increase flow.

For stocking suggestions... If you like large Angels, I'd try two. I'm going to give it a shot in my 240g. I'd get a Harlequin Tusk and maybe something like a pair of Blue Jaw Triggers. With a tank that large, you have very few limitations.

Following along, as I love big tank builds...

Definitely a sail fin and a yellow tang. They are just my favorites! But I'm thinking a blue face angel and a French angel. Also I love harlequin tusks! But wouldn't they eat a lot of my inverts?

The Tusk could go after snails/crabs. It would depend on what you want more, as clean up crews are not a necessity. I'd give a CUC up for something like a Tusk, but that's just me.

For large angels, the rule that I've heard over and over is to try and mix the types...don't put two Pomacanthus together (which is what you have). Do something like a Blue Face (Pomacanthus) with a Queen (Holacanthus) or a Black Velvet (chaetodontoplus) or a Regal (pygoplites). The thing I've learned is that the "by the book" suggestions don't always work in real life. I've seen numerous aquariums where people had all sorts of "don'ts" that worked out fine. I think some is the luck of the draw for the fish you get.

How big of quarantine tank Should I be looking at? I won't have that much space for it under the tank but I was hoping a 29 could handle it since it would fit? And I'm debating a regal with a French. But there's a lot of stocking plans to come!

Regals can be tricky, but that combo should work. Adult French's are beautiful.

I've got a 35g that I'm using for QT and I'm thinking it will work for my plans. Should work okay for most fish for a few weeks, IMO. My Adult large Angel will probably be my last addition to my 240g. Depending on size, but I want to get on the smallish size. My first large Angel will be a juvie, so I can watch it grow/change. I'm hoping to get that this weekend.

It doesn't need to go under your tank. I'd get a QT set up elsewhere if space (and spouse) permits. My spouse urged me to "hide" mine, so it went under my son's new 60g. :)

I think I'm going to be allowed to set up an old 55 in a back room!! So that should be a plenty big enough quarantine! Is there a rule to doing pigmy angels along with the large ones? I want to get a few small Angels as well as the French and maybe queen!

Back
Top Bottom