40 gallon?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My little brother bought me 2 aquariums that a guy he used to work for had (he might as well have given them to him he only charged him $10 a piece). they have never been used and they were just sitting in storage. Apparently they are 40 gallons.... Is that a common fish tank size? I've looked all over and couldn't find any 40 gallon aquariums that weren't hex.

I asked my friend at the LFS about it and he said that 40 gallons is a pretty common reptile tank. So hopefully it will hold water, my brother said the guy filled them up just to show him they would, but if they don't what can I use to patch them up?

I want to make them into a fish only system so I can get some fish that aren't reef safe any suggestions on the type of fish.... I'm thinking about putting an angler in one if I can talk my wife into it.

Any other suggestions on the tank setup would be appreciated.

If those 40 gallon tanks are reptile tanks, you can not use them for aquariums. Reptile tanks are not made to handle the weight of a full tank of water, and are likely to break and cause a big mess. Just because the guy filled them up once doesn't mean they will hold water for an extended amount of time. If you want to start a system, i highly suggest buying a new tank to start with. HTH

tripper

Well, fill em up in the driveway and see how well they hold water. IMO thats the best way to find out. IF they leak, I would pitch them. Not worth an unstable $10 tank if you stock it and then spring a leak...IMO.
I have a 40 gallon breeder tank for one of my qt tanks, there are some around.

after seeing a 40 gallon breeder i thought it would make an awesome reef tank, but i already bought my 29 gallon. they may be 40g breeder tanks.

steve r

Now after you guys mention it, I bet it is a breeder tank... they are at a feed store. they were probably ment for breeding minnows to fish with.

In fact it I can ever talk the wife into having another full time tank around, I would like to make it a reef tank. With its low profile, it would be easy to light. :)

that was my thought. pretty low, easy to light and deeper front to back than most. it would look really cool! but i did see 2 tanks by oceanic today that were also interesting. i 50g that was kind of cube shaped and a 58g. not gonna happen ,but they were still pretty neat

steve r

well, I just kinda told my wife I was going to get an aquarium and then got one, then another then another. I just come up with good reasons to have them like "well I'm going to have to take those damsels back if we don't get another tank" and "baby we really need a QT tank "

hopefully they are going to be 40gal breeder tanks...... i may be getting 2 more reefs:)

Ok, so how long do i need to keep them filled with water before I decide weather or not I am going to use them as fish aquariums?

Also, what is the difference in a reptile tank and a fish tank? Is it how thick the glass is or is it the way they seal the glass? If it is how thick the glass is, how thick is a typical reptile tanks glass and how thick should the glass for a 40 gallon tank be?

Back
Top Bottom