75G Build, First Timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FlopNewsom said:
We paid someone to set up our seventy-five because we bought it used and had no clue. It was well worth it.

That's good to hear! Do you remember how much you paid by any chance?

Here's a little update for everyone.

I headed over to another LFS and picked up some purple rock. That first piece I got was purple due to coralline algae (the one from yesterday), but these pieces are purple bcz it's a type of rock called Fish Heads' Real Reef Live Rock. It's "painted" purple. From what I've read it's real live rock, and coralline algae will grow on it, but the rock itself is purple from the start. It's also way cheaper than the real purple rock. It was sold at the normal price of $6/lb lol.

Here's a link if anyone's curious. I thought it was pretty cool.

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/02/08/fish-heads-shelf-nano-live-rock/

Attachments

• image-89763585.jpg
    image-89763585.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 78
Hey guys, got another quick question for you experts. So I've decided to try a deep sand bed in my refugium.

Could I use pool filter sand for this or does it have to be live sand? Maybe a mixture of the two?

Alright, so it's looking like my QT might actually be cycled. I tested the water before heading out to the lab this morning, and this is what I found:

Ammo: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate 10-20 ppm
pH: 8.2

I fed my chromis a bit heavier than usual last night, and I was expecting a tiny spike in ammonia, but there was none. I'm still going to try testing somewhat frequently, as I'm not yet totally convinced that I'm cycled (it'd be the quickest and easiest tank cycling I've ever had).

Attachments

• image-3016515191.jpg
    image-3016515191.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 71
Alright, so here's an update for everyone. I went over to home depot and bought a bunch of stuff. I got a cheapo light fixture for the fuge, eggcrate to put down on the bottom, and plenty of pvc pieces for all the plumbing. I also got ball valves for both the return from the tank and the output from the pump, so I can adjust everything as needed.

I was working with the guy at home depot for a while and we came up with a system that will work. What are the pro's and con's of hardlining your plumbing (with PVC), versus using flexible tubing?

clean professional look with minimal flow restriction from the ribbing. too many options for additions or custom set ups to list.

vibration from your return pump may be problematic depending how you plumb it. if you need to scoot your sump a little this way or that you cant. should you need to remove the sump for what ever reason plumb a union in the in and out.

am i missing anything?

if you have to change pumps youll have to cute the pvc. thats the only thing i can add. con to pvc is 90 or 40 elbows. smooth clear tubing no ribbing nor sharp bends

you can put the union between the ball valve and the pump and use a smooth vinyl to the pump no need to cut the pvc... like i said, depends on how you plumb it.

What about bendable PVC? How does that work? Wouldnt' it be the best of both worlds? I was looking into it

Both of you offer wise council, thank you. I'm gonna hardline it, since I have the PVC anyways. I also bought myself a union to be used before the ball valve. Plumbing isn't my forte, so hopefully these guys I have coming tomorrow can set me up right.

Now, here's another question. Comparing an in-line pump to a submerged pump, what's the difference in temperature that's produced? I've been spooked by some stories claiming that a submerged pump can really heat up a tank, but those accounts were in smaller systems. What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with this?

i saw that they make flexible pvc tubing. it appears you can use it the same as hard pipe, ie red hot blue glue. if all you have the hard line you can use a heat gun and soften it to bend it.

i dont know anything about how much heat a submersible pump generates and affects you water temp. but ive read to cautious with a ball valve on your supply line.

coffeetwitch said:
i dont know anything about how much heat a submersible pump generates and affects you water temp. but ive read to cautious with a ball valve on your supply line.

Excuse my ignorance, but is the supply line the one that goes from the sump back to the tank? Also, can you elaborate a bit more on why I should be cautious?

And as far as ball valves go, I bought one for the tank to sump and one for sump to tank, I figured I could return one if need be, and if not just have both.

im calling the overflow to the sump the supply line.

caution because if your return from your pump back to the tank is not EXACTLY balanced (same flow to and from) with your supply you can flood.

Back
Top Bottom