90 Gallon Saltwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heera

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone,
It has been about a year that I been coming to this forum to learn ask questions. All of you been awesome. I want to thank for all for that.

Now I am upgrading to a 90 gallon (reef ready) tank. I need a lot of help.
Here is what I have:
- 90 gallon tank ( herbie overflow) return from outside
- 24" high stand with 11" frame under it.
- I have molded fiberglass tank ( 42x20x15) that I want to make sump/ refuseium out of. NEED HELP IN DESIGN HERE.
- SWC skimmer rated for 300 gallons.
- current USA lights with 2x 175 watt MH and 2x 135 watt power compact actinic.

Have about 80 pounds of live rock in my old tank. So will be transferred.

SAND? Have old sand can I use it?
Shallow of deep sand bed?

Stocking plan:
- 2 clownfish 3"- ( rose bubble tip anemone (big)
- 5 green chromis 3"
- 4" yellow tang
- 5" blue hippo tang ( been in my friends tank for 7 months)
- cleaner shrimp
- 2 peppermint shrimp
- 2 turbo snails
- 4 Trochus snails
- 4 cerith snails
- 1 astraea snail
Lots of sea stars and amphipods.
Oh I have also seen some fire or bristle worms too.

Do I need to cycle the new tank or can I move things over in one day?

Here are some pics

Attachments

• image-3828284678.jpg
    image-3828284678.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 339
  • image-849698383.jpg
    image-849698383.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 338
  • image-408345408.jpg
    image-408345408.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 380
  • image-3241200732.jpg
    image-3241200732.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 348
I have done the leak tests and do far had one leak fixed now.
Still problem with the back syphon.

Anyone out there to reply

I've never used a herbie overflow ur sump u can go to melves reef website for sump design keep in mind UV light will break down fiberglass
Glass or acrylic would b better for ur sump imo
Where was ur leak in ur tank, sump, plumbing?

You could move everything over in one shot and not have a cycle. Everything but the sand- the sand must be thoroughly rinsed out in tank water to remove all the detritus that's settled in it. The depth of the sand bed is your choice.
You will get a diatom bloom on the new surfaces, but you shouldn't get a spike.
I would have a large water change ready either way.

I would not put a 5" tang in a 90 gallon tank. You should take that to the LFS and trade it for a smaller one maybe.

As for the sump, you'll need to partition it into 3 sections. intake (where your skimmer and heaters will be), refugium, and return. I would simply do them in that order, left to right and put the bubble trap before the return.
An easy design, and no ball valves or any additional plumbing needed.

Thank you for your replys.

Reef79-
It's moulded fiberglass tank. I will be using regular fluorescent bulb on it to grow cheto and Have 5" deep sand bed.
WHAT WOULD BE THE SOURCE OF UV LIGHT?
How dangerous is it to break the tank down?

I have an acrylic sump but it's only 30x12x15)
So I choose fire glass one for being big.
Plz advice..

Anyone using fiberglass sump???

Mr_X -
Thanks.
I will move things over in one shot than. I do have some sand I have washed I will use. Then I will pour few cups of old sand to seed it. So will Har 2" sand than.

I will trade the tang. But what about the blue hippo tang?
I also have;
1- 3" royal gramma I forgot to mention.
4 - nassarius snails

Any suggestions on what else I can add to the tank which will go with what I have in terms of fish, shrimps or cleanup crew?

Oh the skimmer is swc 200.
Anyone using this skimmer Plz give me ur thoughts or any tips on performance.

Attachments

• image-1565844961.jpg
    image-1565844961.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 283
  • image-1465921393.jpg
    image-1465921393.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 271
If u are going to grow calurpa or cheto u will have some type of UV weather its UV A or UV b both will break down the actual fibers in the fiberglass unless you keep it painted for protection which can b a pain I've never seen effects on fiberglass of salt creep I know it eats Carpet, drywall,and paint and about everything it touches.

Is it fully painted? if so that will provide protection u will have to check it regularly unless u know what type of paint was used epoxy based is best for saltwater application

Yes but they are sanded sealed and painted I know this for a fact I run a shop that builds large petroleum and liquid fertilizer and the fiberglass tanks are supposed to b re painted every two years to protect from UV exposure I'm just trying to inform you that's all

Reef79 said:
Yes but they are sanded sealed and painted I know this for a fact I run a shop that builds large petroleum and liquid fertilizer and the fiberglass tanks are supposed to b re painted every two years to protect from UV exposure I'm just trying to inform you that's all

Hi Reef79, Plz do give your thoughts on this. I respect you for sharing what you knew.

As a solution how does this sound.??? As the box is already painted.

Since the light will only be on the refugium section. I have added baffles of black acrylic on both sides. I will also added the black acrylic to the side walls. Bottom will be sand. So No light penetrates through to fibreglass wall.

So another words I have siliconed in a Acrylic refugium. The skimmer section and return pump section have no light.

should be ok right?

I will add water alarm with sensor. Next to the sump. Here is what it looks like.

Attachments

• image-84390497.jpg
    image-84390497.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 142
  • image-4019727361.jpg
    image-4019727361.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 111
Oh the tank goes;

Skimmer section 13". Refugeium-20" , return section is 6" with 1.5" baffle space

Can someone chime in some advice on filter sock.

What is it good for?, how often you need to clean it?
I can clean once a week

Back
Top Bottom