Advice on this stock list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d_art

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Going for a somewhat aggressive tank but with smaller guys in my 55 gal FOLR tank. Does this sound like overstock:

*Undulate or Picasso Trigger
(Balistapus undulatus) (Rhinecanthus aculeatas)

*Snowflake Moray Eel
(Echidna nebulosa)

*Zebra or Deepwater Lionfish
(Dendrochirus zebra) (Pterois mombasae)

Would some kind of 3"-5" Toby be too small for these other guys?

Also two of my present Damsels are pretty fiesty(Domino/Blue Devil) would they be able to fend for themselves or would they end up as Eel food? The three * fish are the main ones I'm thinking about.

Thanks in Advance, Derek

If the eel can fit it in its mouth then it will be potental eel food. Thats the general rule of thumb. Eels like snakes can open their mouths very wide for the size of their head. Since they cant really chew only items that they feel they can gulp down are eatable. You will have to make the size judgment call.

Note that the eel will grow and at some point the damsels will become eel food.

All of the agressive fish you list are what I classify 'dirty' eaters. This means that they often leave behind large bits of uneaten food and that can increase the bioload on the tank significatnly. For such a setup I would suggest a very powerful skimmer as well as frequent water change schedule.

Thanks for the help fishfreek, I'm assuming since you didn't jump down my throat about it being overstocked that this combo should be fine. By the time everything is ready to go the domino should be able to hold his own but I may need to lose the Blue Devil.

hey johnkristie, 1 down 3 to go. Beat LA!

Back
Top Bottom