almost ready to start filling the tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok so I got a refugium, and skimmer. Don't have lights yet.

How quick do I need to have lights?

I'm going to pour water into the tank, and get some salt mix then mix it up.

Then I'm going to add sand and rock.

where is cheapest place to buy sand and rock? Do I have to get both as live? Is there a way I can get dead sand and rock and put in tank, let tank cycle for a while and have it become live?

Where do I start from here?

OK Ozorowsky, I`m getting excited for you. You dont need lights right this second. What kind of tank is this going to be. Your lighting will depend on your answer. Yes mix up your salt and water but dont add sand or rock for a day or so. Make sure your salinity is right and then add your sand and rock. No neither have to be live right now as far as the nitrifying bacteria, that will happen during the cycle. But by getting LR now it will have marine life in it that will help benifit your tank as filter feeders and other various clean up jobs. OK once the rock and sand are in you are ready for this.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

This will keep you busy for several weeks.

Dont bother with live sand in bag its a waste of money. Dry sand and a mix of base rock (Dry) and live rock is the cheapest way to go. Base rock becomes live rock once its cycled. As melosu58 stated, live rock will introduce all kind of critters to the tank.

Where is best place to buy this stuff? Online? ebay?

EJS4 said:
Dont bother with live sand in bag its a waste of money. Dry sand and a mix of base rock (Dry) and live rock is the cheapest way to go. Base rock becomes live rock once its cycled. As melosu58 stated, live rock will introduce all kind of critters to the tank.

A lot of people in my reef club use Marco Rocks and it is AWESOME. It really is very cool and light rock with cool shapes. I know what you are saying Mel and it is a good point but if I could do it over I would use Marco and then a few pounds of small LR on top. I think it saves a lot of headache like LR more prone to hair algae, hitchikers....

Awesome, Mike, thanks for the input. I was hesitant to refer marco, to folks, sicne I have not bought anything from them! I have had great and quick responses from marco, and you just sealed the deal!

Yeah they seem really great Roka. They donated some boxes with some awesome pieces to my local clubs auction and I was very impressed.

Back
Top Bottom