Angry with shrimp!!! HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 50gal tank with a yellow tang, fire fish and tomato clown, basic wet / dry. About 1 1/2 weeks ago I bought a skunk cleaner shrimp from my LFS. Acclimated him 2 hours with the drip method. They had this shrimp about 3 weeks. The next morning he's dead!!

Bought a blood shrimp they have had for about 4 days, acclimated him for 3 1/2 hours w/ the drip method. He is dead with in 3 hours of going in the tank. That is of shrimp. I should have gone for a nice shrimp meal somewhere for that price. Needless to say I am quite angry. Please help!!

Ammn.=Maybe .3 to .4
Nitrite=0; (darn colors are so close together hard to read)
Nitrate=about 7;
PH about 8.4
temp 80;
SG 1.022

Ammn.=Maybe .3 to .4
This is probably the reason why. How long has the tank been set up?
Inverts are even more sensitive to ammonia than fish.

I agree. Ammonia is mostl likely the culpret. How did you cycle the tank? Can you verify the ammonia with another test kit?

Would .3 ammonia really be enough to KILL a shrimp? If that were the case, wouldn't it be virtually impossible to add new LR or even a couple of new fish to a tank without endangering the inverts?

i would think adding shrimp to a system with amonia would be worse than them being in the system when the ammonia rose to that level

ive lost 1 fire and 2 cleaner shrimp both times within 2-3 days so i started using the drip method for around 2 hours then floating them for 20 mins and ive had no more deathes since

i would think adding shrimp to a system with amonia would be worse than them being in the system when the ammonia rose to that level

That's probably a good point. After reading these posts, I ran to check my water, because I just added two peppermint shrimp today. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10-15 (hard to match the color, so I'll say 15)

I'll probably do a water change tomorrow. I have a plug of chaeto in my sump and I'm getting some more to help with the nitrates, so my fingers are crossed for my first-ever shrimp!!

Why do you float them AFTER using the drip method? Equalizing temp first is supposed to help protect against pH differences, from what I understand. The drip method is then used to acclimate to new salinity and the pH difference not related to temperature.

Equalizing temp first is supposed to help protect against pH differences, from what I understand. The drip method is then used to acclimate to new salinity and the pH difference not related to temperature.
I float the bag in the tank for about a half hour to get a temp match then I drip acclimate in a bucket with a heater and a PH monitor.
When the temp, PH and SG match...I then add then to the system.
Inverts I drip very slow and have never lost one to an acclimation issue.

I too float them After the drip method. I have not found a heater to go in my dripping bucket that fits yet...and with 2 to 3 hours of dripping the water gets colder in the bucket than the tank. So I float to temp acclimate before putting them in the tank. If it is a "mail order" shipment...I float before and after. Just to get the bags up to temp before the dripping beginnings. Haven't lost an invert or fish this way yet.

WC

I have my drip container floating in my sump's refugium compartment the whole time that water is dripping into it. That solves the temperature issue for me. I use one of those plastic gerbil containers. I can even use it for "jumpers" while acclimating, because it has a lid, and drip tube fits between the slots in the top.

Back
Top Bottom