AquaC Remora Impressions =/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So today the venturi on my Rio 800 clogged and I had to take the Excalibur skimmer off the tank to clean the venturi lines. Cleaned out the collection cup too, and stuck the skimmer back on the tank with a properly working venturi.

Now that that is all cleaned up, neither skimmer is producing any skimmate since I put the Remora on the tank. So, they are both off to a fresh start:

skimmers.jpg

I fed the fish twice today too. Now it will be a real showdown to see which skimmer produces more skimmate. Or any skimmate at this point... I am sure it will be fine in a few days but this process has been frustrating, particularly since it happened right after I got my fish and so many other people with Remoras get skimmate right away.

I am not down with getting the entire skimmer replaced, or even the collection up, until I at least see this one start working.

I should ban myself from looking at my tank for a few days, have my wife feed the fish...

If you are really bothered by your protein skimmers, I'll take them off your hands. Just pay shipping and I won't charge you. :wink:

You could always add a teaspoon of 'slime coat enhancer' to the tank...I heard that makes skimmers go crazy. :twisted:

Captive reefs, I did mean the remora pro, im actually thinking of getting it from premium aquatics and get the upgraded mag 7 drive with longer clollection cup

oh dear this is disturbing news, i was planning on ordering an aqua c remora... now im having second thoughts!

what made you decide to upgarde from your old skimmer, and what kind of skimmer was that one?

what made you decide to upgarde from your old skimmer, and what kind of skimmer was that one?

Well, I upgrade because the Remora has a bit smaller profile and should look a bit better. Also, in theory, the Remora should be impossible to overflow. And, I just HAD to try one :) When I am torn between two choices, I always end up trying both of them for myself.

The "old' skimmer is an Advanced Aquaria Excalibur HV1. For the money, I think the Excalibur is a better deal. This may change if the Remora start pulling out more skimmated than the Excalibur.

The Remora is an awesome skimmer in my opinion. Of course anything is better than that Prizm I purchased!

My Remora has not been producing much skimmate durning the past 2 weeks, but my tank is fully cycled, and has no live fish yet, just the hitch-hikers from the rock. So I suspect the water is pretty darn clean right now.

But when I was cycling my tank, after I added the rock, the skimmer was kicking out tons of skimmate.

IMO anything is better than a prizm! Even my seaclone! I am unsatisfied with the prizm, because when I bought one, it had leaks all over it, the pump was a poc and it did not make any bubbles!

It is all a matter of opinion really but the aqua c does do a great job for such a small skimmer. Plus it requires almost no maintenence except for cleaning the cup weekly and the pump once a month. It is also very quiet when broken in. I have ran the Bak Pak, Prizm and remora w/mj1200 on my 26 bowfront and will say the remora beat the other two hands down. This is a totally unbiased opinion since i sell both the bak pak and the remora. The prizms i have since removed from my product offering.

about.com is a pretty terrible place for information on a lot of things. too bad really, since it is a very common place people go for information.

Received my Remora Pro today with the Mag3 and I was shocked to see the same bad construction as grimlock3000 did...

[center:bc0fb53c0c][/img][/center:bc0fb53c0c]

Worse the corner of the skimmate receptacle was cracked...

[center:bc0fb53c0c]
[/center:bc0fb53c0c]

I am bummed because I was hoping to get everything going this holiday weekend, but now will have to wait!!

(if the photos dont show I am still a newbie who is trying to figure out how to do it)

bubbles are just the way the epoxy loooks when it cures and will not affect performance in any way. Cracked cups this time of year in shipping are normal. Plastic does not like the cold and can become quite brittle. And UPS is pretty hard on packages as well. I sent you an E-mail about the cup.

Sipe for now just glue the cup and use it like it is it will work fine and performance will not be affected.

man doesn't sound like the skimmer I got...
mine was perfect...
MAxijet Ph and all...
Took a few days to get something in the cup then i had to raise the cup because it was skimming too well...

Back
Top Bottom