Are 10-12 gal saltwater tanks sustainable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nwsharksfan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Background: had a 30 gal reef tank in CA that I got rid of when I moved to WA. Have 92 gal fw now. Have a 12 gal acrylic tank in the garage and was thinking about getting a saltwater tank going. Is a 12 gal sw tank manageable?

Equipment I have hanging around: RODI unit, heaters, powerheads that are likely way too much for a 12 gal, hood for 12 gal with weak florescent light that I supplemented with a submersible LED light strip, Fluval 106. I have a hydrometer but have read that for small tanks a refractometer is a must (?) Do I need anything else other thank rock and sand? Is the Fluval 106 (rated for 25 gal) going to cut it?

While I'd love to eventually convert the 92, I don't have the funds for the live rock/sand and my 7 year old Oscar should have another 5 years in him.

Thanks for any input.

clarification

... and just to be clear, I'm not aspiring to have anything elaborate. Live rock, shrimp or two, mushroom coral, hermits, and maybe a small fish or two. I always found the sand critters and the feather dusters etc coming out of the live rock to be the most entertaining part of a sw tank.

Very easily doable if you keep up with those weekly water changes. My only SW tank is a 10g reef. I cycled it and haven't had any major problems other than my own mistakes.

Caleb

Yes doable. Just make sure you keep an eye on your parameters and your evaporation levels! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom