Can coralline algae grow while a tank is cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maybe_gabby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i set up my tank and have had it running for about a week now, and i bought some rubble with coralline algae on it to add to the tank in hopes of getting it started, i also bought some purple up to help advance the growth. but it just occurred to me that it might die while cycling. So my question is, will all of my coralline algae die while my tank is cycling, or should it be fine so i can add purple up now?

It should be just fine. There is no need to use a product like purple up as it will cause issues when it throws your parameters out of whack and long term issues. Just cycle the tank and things will be just fine. The coraline will spread on its own.

Coraline takes months to grow usually. Some tanks grow it much faster than others. Purple up is junk, literal junk. I wouldn't use it. Just give it time, you'll be cursing coraline once it does start growing all over the glass

Oh I remember always wanting it , bragging when I finally got it growing , now it just drives me nuts , constantly scrapping off the glass cleaning power heads , now I consider it to be like the plague ,
purple up is just a big waist of money , like said above all it will do is cause issues down the line ,
I wouldn't kill myself trying to get it to grow as it will come over time ,
now I keep a few urchin's to eat the coralline to keep it in check , it's nice at the beginning but gets old fast lol

Back
Top Bottom