Clean up Crew Packages...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seepu

Aquarium Advice Freak
After doing the math, I know that the Clean up Crew packages online and in magazines are by far better for the money. However, do I REALLY need 100 Turbos, 100 Blueleg Hermits, 100 Nassarius, 12 Cerith, AND 2 emerald crabs? Geeze, that seems enough for BRENDEN's tank!!

So whats too much? Whats not enough?

I'd like to find good deal, but I also want to get whats right for my tank.

Anyone have links to where they got/have seen nice (smaller) packages?

I have a 90g, with 160 lb LR, about 4" sand bed. Diatoms are settling in nicely, and look to be staying a while. This is week 3 of my diatom bloom, after 3 big water changes.

This is the package I found...

http://www.reeftopia.com/Reeftopiaspecials.html

Much cheaper, and LOT'S more critters. It just seems like TOO much.

What happens to them all when theres nothing left to eat? I can't imagine that after the diatoms and algae have been cleaned up, there will be much for them to eat. If 200 snails, and 100 hermits are starving, wouldnt there be alot of death and decay in my tank to make my params go crazy? Then, when my water is sufficiently fouled, here comes the algae again...

Ill see if they will put together a smaller package maybe.

you also gotta realize alot of those snails or crabs will die one way or another so thats why they give you so many

The package on Reeftopia seems excessive to me. At least in MHO. Price is good, so I'd ask around and see if anyone wants to split / share with you. I have had a couple deaths on my "Mega" Pack but I think it's only about 5% Loss after the first week. Pending my total death count when I get home from a 2 week trip.

Feeding is a breeze. Drop in some dry seaweed once a week and the hermits go crazy for the stuff.

In some packages the hermits are VERY small. I almost tossed one away thing it was a shell only. Too small to be a hermit.

Ok.. I will call them and see if they can put together a package more to my liking.

How big do the blue hermits get anyway? I cant find definitive mature sizes, so I'm guessing about 1 1/2" ?

Not sure on the hermit sizes. Depends on the shell really. The max size I have is less than 1/2" and thats with a wide shell. Most are about 1/4" it appears.

The snails are HUGE sometimes. Most mine are pretty Small - Medium so its cool. The Liveaquaria pack had zebra hermits (no blue avail at the time). So it's a 50/50 chance on what you get. I lost a couple of my older scarlets and I'm not sure why, but it was shortly after all the new critters got into the tank.

HackTeck is right. Over time you'll lose some of these guys. Food supply, conflicts, etc. Just gradually over time. I just repopulate one a month or when I'm at the LFS and see something else.

Back
Top Bottom