Coralline tiurning white. Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erichm20

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I noticed small spots before now the white is spreading. Here's a pic.

Ive read that it could mean mag is low but I've never done anything for mag and I don't have a test kit for it (ordering). One thing that has changed is one of my blue bulbs went out so I put in another white until I replace it. So now there are 3 white and 1 blue t5 could the increase in lighting bleach it?

Another thing I've been doing is dosing ca and alk for about 2 months (coralline been growing like crazy since starting)

Ph 8.2. Ammo 0 no2 0 no3 5 po4 .10 ca 380 dkh 9 temp 79 sg 1.024

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-881016811.jpg
    image-881016811.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 97
Could certainly be magnesium. In tanks where water changes aren't regular strontium can be an issue also. Probably mag.

Ok good to know. I have been doing 5 Gallon water changes for 1.5 months now to get the nitrates and phosphates down. I will get the kit to test for mag. Now if the magnesium is low how do I keep it up? supplements?

On another note, my sand bed is kind of shallow, 40 lbs so I was thinking of adding another 20 lbs or so. Can you just add more sand or will this disrupt the water chemistry?

Thanks!

^Yups. Regular supplements added slowly over time will correct the levels if it's needed.

To add sand just rinse it out well (unless it's live) then turn off all the pumps and add it in very gently one cup at a time directly to the bottom. With each cup of sand allow it to fill with tank water each time before going down into the tank with it. Takes time, as does everything good that happens in a reef. :)

If it's just now happening and the only variable you've changed is the lighting...then it's probably the lighting. However, when it's happened to me over the years I've found it to be not enough water changes. You need to replenish your calcium levels through frequent water changes. But again, you've recently made changes to your lighting so it could be that.

Mine seems to turn white in places after the turbo snails have been there. I'm not sure but they may be eating it.

Hmmmm. Well I replaced the blue today so its back to the " normal" setup. I'm going to start (slowly) dosing mag as I've been adding some soft frags and an Lps anyway. The snail thing is interesting bc they have been on the back wall a lot and the coralline spots on that back glass all has white edges so that may be it.

Weird thing is though on the rock the white came on as spots and slowly spread like its bleaching so could be a combination of magnesium and light change.

Thanks for the input!

Well I replaced the blue bulb and there is new coralline growing so I guess it may have been the extra light. I also read that there is white coralline as well?? I think it may be bleaching bc of phosphates and trates. I've got a mag test and some buffer on the way as well as iodine test/buffer since I've started to buy more coral... I'll post the results of the magnesium test once I do it. I'm going to change out the phosban in the filter as well so I'm sure that will help.

Back
Top Bottom