Curing pukani rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquadan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been curing about 40#s of pukani rock I got from brs for about 3 1/2 weeks and I just tested the water for the first time.
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-5
Nitrates-40
Phosphates-.25
Calcium-500
Kh-9

My main question is should I add an ammonia source to the contain, I haven't yet thinking there was enough on the rock already. All these reading were taken with API test kits. I am curing in a separate container because I have read about this type of rock leeching phosphates for a while. Is there anything else I should be doing other than waiting? Thanks any and all advice is appreciated.

I have been curing about 40#s of pukani rock I got from brs for about 3 1/2 weeks and I just tested the water for the first time. Ammonia-0 Nitrites-5 Nitrates-40 Phosphates-.25 Calcium-500 Kh-9 My main question is should I add an ammonia source to the contain, I haven't yet thinking there was enough on the rock already. All these reading were taken with API test kits. I am curing in a separate container because I have read about this type of rock leeching phosphates for a while. Is there anything else I should be doing other than waiting? Thanks any and all advice is appreciated.

Not the same kind of rock but I'm doing the same thing .
I have 30 lbs of rock in a storage bin
I started 4 days ago and my ammonia hasn't fell or dropped yet .
Sitting at 4.0 ppm
I believe when the ammonia drops you should notice a spike in nitrite .
It appears like yours is going just as I want mine too .
Is it normal for nitrite and nitrate to be tested positive numbers at the same time ?
I thought if there is nitrate eating nitrite they should test at 0

When I cycled my freshwater tank I had both nitrites and nitrates reading high for a few days. I'm just not sure what I should do about the phosphates and whether or not I should add ammonia. Either way good luck with your setup.

Back
Top Bottom