Cyanobacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi. I am a freshwater keeper but was wondering how the salty dawgs handle outbreaks of cyano.

What do you deem the cause? How do you get rid of it?

I'm curious because the freshwater crew say that too little nitrate and too little flow is the cause where I've read salty's attribute the cause to too high nitrate and phosphate which I am dosing a lot of in my planted tank.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

you need to control nutrient input (nitrate/phosphate) and light cycle.
removing it entails scrubbing and siphoning.

I managed mine by a good cleaning, 3 day blackout and forcing algae growth to predominantly occur in the refugium.

It's actually a bacteria and not an algae it's often caused by as above nutrients or an imbalance between phosphate and nitrates.

you need to control nutrient input (nitrate/phosphate) and light cycle.
removing it entails scrubbing and siphoning.

I managed mine by a good cleaning, 3 day blackout and forcing algae growth to predominantly occur in the refugium.

Controlling nitrate/phosphate. Can you please expand on this.

Controlling nitrate/phosphate. Can you please expand on this.

feeding less, avoiding flake foods, rinsing frozen foods, 1 day fasts twice a week, reducing photoperiod, etc.

but in freshwater you want a certain degree of nitrate and phosphate, far more than is desirable in reef tank.
are you playing a balancing game right now with nitrate/phosphate?

not entirely sure how well the two compare or if it is even the same bacteria involved, but couldn't hurt.

while it is a bacteria, it is still photosynthetic so lighting plays a big part.

Thanks to both.

I run both purigen and carbon in my canister filter and perform 50% water changes weekly. I only have 21 small fish in a 46 gallon tank and feed 1 small pinch of flake food daily and skip feeding at least once a week. Nitrates and phosphate are depleted when I don't add them due to the plant uptake. This was confirmed by both nitrate and phosphate (not wholly accurate) liquid test kits reading 0ppm and the green spot algae that ensued I on my leaves (common indicator of low phosphate in freshwater).

I can't see how the tank contains much dissolved organics. High nitrate and phosphate do remain consistent with your theories but many people overdose both in planted tanks and do not see Cyanobacteria.

Will have to think on this one. I could switch to live food for a while.

Yeah in salt water it is "easier" sort of in that it is desirable to have undetectable levels, but for a planted tank it is a balancing game.
Odd given the particulars of your set-up that you would be having any issues at all. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom