Cycled?...Opinions....(Photos)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it cycled?

• Yes, your good to go!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, wait a little longer!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CrossRamZ11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Just wanted to get some opinions...My 55g tank has been up and running for about 4 weeks now, about halfway through I added a DSB, 20 pounds of live sand (120# total) , and another 20 pounds of live rock, and 2 pounds of Carribean Sand to seed the DSB. I also have a Fluval 404 running.

I have been monitoring all of the water conditions...as of today they are:

temp - Contant 80F
Sal - 1.022
PH - 8.2
A Total Ammonia is approx. .15-.20 with the toxic being .005 per the test kit.
Nitrite is O
Nitrate is <10

I have had a huge Diatom bloom as shown in the picture, pretty much on everything:
P6190003.JPG

I think the tank is cycled, am I correct, or do I need to wait longer? I have not yet done a water change, I was waiting until the cycle was complete.

Looking for some guidance...I am anxious to order a critter kit from Saltwaterfish.com, but I want to make sure everything is cool before I add them.

Thanks as always :)

Man, I gotta say, that is some of the best aquascaping for that tank size I have ever seen!

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment on the aquascaping...I really enjoy that part of this hobby. Here are a couple more pictures I just took tonight... :)

Side1.JPG

Side2.JPG

So, does it appear cycled?

I am not very familiar with cycling of saltwater tanks but it really must take some talent to get a tank looking that nice!

As long as you have ammonia, your tank is NOT cycled. Have you been monitoring levels all along? If so, have you seen the nitrites spike yet?

I second Hara's opinion. After my tank was cycled it still did some adjusting for about another week or so. Better to be safe! I kept a log and tested the water every 2 days, as not to miss anything, the nitrite spike only lasted 2 days. Cool rocks, did you epoxy the ledge or is it balancing? I have not decided if I am going to epoxy or not.

Sorry for the delayed response,

Actually, I did not epoxy, but I do take quite a bit of time to set the rocks and place them correctly. I always make sure that there are at least 3 points of contact to make a stable base for each and every rock. In some cases, I utilize the back glass as the third point. Take you time, and epoxy is not necessary.

p.s. Ammonia hit 0, Nitrates are 0 and Nitrites are <10..I am cycled baby!!!!!

Sorry to tell you this but if you still have nitrites then your tank has not finished cycling.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom