Did I make a stupid mistake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KoryTaylor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have had a biocube 14 for 2 weeks the ammonia hit zero last Monday and nitrite was at .10-.15 ppm and we decided to rush and get our clean up crew to add a little movement to the aquarium but as we were there the fish store owner convinced us that it would be a good idea to get a blue damsel to test our cycle and then the next day(today) the ammonia is .10ppm a the nitrite is .30 ppm so can somebody tell me if it we a bad idea to rush it.

As far as I know it is okay as long as you do water changes more often while your good bacteria is getting established. Try and keep your water clean and ammonia low. It will even out. I wouldn't get anything more though until you get your tank a little more established.

I'm sure someone else a little more experienced might give you more detailed info, sounds like your doing a fish-in cycle. Look at some of the threads on here for fish in cycle and follow the directions.

Yes it was a bad idea.

Do water changes until ammonia is 0. A damsel isn't a good community fish either if that is your long term goal.

Dxbeast8508 said:
As far as I know it is okay as long as you do water changes more often while your good bacteria is getting established. Try and keep your water clean and ammonia low. It will even out. I wouldn't get anything more though until you get your tank a little more established.

I'm sure someone else a little more experienced might give you more detailed info, sounds like your doing a fish-in cycle. Look at some of the threads on here for fish in cycle and follow the directions.

Sorry I didn't realize this was a reef tank. I deal mostly with fresh water. I just saw the topic, not the section.

Bad idea. Fish in cycles are a lot of work and hard on the fish. I know the desire to get a fish right away. But, a damsel is about the only thing that will survive a cycle. Problem is that they are mean and it will be hard to put anything in with it. I would take it back and dont get anything until your cycle is complete. Ammonia dosing until you can go from 4ppm to 0ppm ammonia and nitrite in 24 hours. Then do your research and get the fish you really want.

Its a bad idea but its not like it was the worst mistake ever and you messed everything up people do fish-in cycles all the time esp. with damsels they are tough sons of guns, wasn't the smartest choice but its not the end of the world.

lol

everyone has newbie pitfalls I for example use a whale shark to cycle my tank worked perfectly until I realized it didnt fit....lol just trying to bust a laugh...

now in a more serious tone that seem to be a fish in cycle, I would suggest if you plan on keeping the damsel alive and your cycle moving using some cheat cheats like, nite out to reduce both ammonia and nitrates, also using prime by seachem this will help with ammonia and nitrates, these will help ease the damsels gills as they will probably burn out throughout your cycling, also water changes are a must 30-40% honestly if the LFS told you to do a fish in cycle that is kind of difficult because doing the H2O changes will halt some of your cycle.

like I tell everyone any questions or problems you have shoot me an email Ill be able to help you just takes a bit of research through my books and notes to find the answer.

The only issue I see with this is the aggression level of damsels. Yes some people think fish in cycles are the end of the world but they really arent. With consistent water changes you will be fine. And since your ammonia had already converted into nitrites before adding the fish your tank is fairly close to being completely cycled. I don't necessarily think fish in cycles are a great idea, but they are not going to ruin your tank or anything.

Just do consistent water changes and you will be fine. As soon as those nitrites turn to nitrate and you get those levels down you look good to go.

Ye it's not going to do anything long term, if you can catch the damsel. Ammonia and nitrite burn fishes lungs......... I wouldn't want to do that to a living breathing thinking animal.

Back
Top Bottom