different substrates...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olliethemutt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Which substrate do you prefer? Sand, gravel, crushed coral....a mixture something else?? I have a mixture of....well pretty much all three right now but mostly gravel. Just wondering on opinions.. I've heard sand can be tricky to clean and crushed coral and sand can get gross... Which one do you think is easier to care for? Looks better? Fish like more? Ect..

I prefer the versatility of CaribSea Super Reef, which offers a medium grain size for jawfish and other burrowing animals, yet capable of allowing detrivores to penetrate the layers. I do also like the look of a mix between Fiji Pink and Bimini Pink (arag-alive), which are both small grain sizes. As far as care, all sandbeds require some type of maintenance...anything rated above 2.0mm is going to be more difficult to clean, such as crushed coral.

I prefer sand. It is much easier to take care of. CC will trap waste and debris causing higher nitrates in your tank. CUC`s can clean up your sand better than they can CC.

Back
Top Bottom