Does live rock alone need circulation/heat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bix

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everybody,

Currently I have ich in my tank as well as a mild/moderate case of cyano.

Right now I have my puffer in the hospital tank and I'm almost at hyposalinity. I still have to catch 2 damsels and a goby who seem to be very aware that I'm trying to catch them :(. Its a 135G with 200lbs of live rock so its a challenge.

So what I was thinking was to buy a few huge garbage cans and put the live rock in there. Then I could catch the fish easy and leave the live rock in the garbage cans for about 5 days to black out the bacteria.

This leads to my question. Would I need heat/circulation in the garbage cans? Or can I just leave the live rock in there with a little bit of salt water?

Of course there is another option of just putting the live rock int he garbage cans temporarily until I can catch the fish then put it right back into the tank.

The tank will be fishless for 8 week so I can starve the cyano of light/nutrients in that time. Would that be a better option? I could also blackout the main tank with garbage bags. I just figured it might be easier to do the blackout in the garbage cans?

Back
Top Bottom