dry rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
setting up my 30g soon (hopefully sooner than later) and was looking to purchase about 20lbs of dry rock and want to make sure i will be curing it right. from what i understand: i will need a plastic container, DO water, a powerhead (1 750 enough?), heater, salt mix, and hydrometer. so...mix the salt and water until its right (1.025) then add the rock after its been cleaned and water changes every couple days until all my levels 0 out. anything im missing? going to attempt to time this with the cycling of the new tank as well so that i can add the rock as soon as the tank is cycled with about 10-15 lbs live rock/frag.

If its DRY rock you just need to wash it off and put it in your main tank. If its LIVE rock them you need to follow the process you just talked about.

so I can just add it to the tank when I start the cycling process? well that makes it easy lol. guess the LR can be added at the same time to aid the cycling correct?

Right, if you're starting up a new SW tank, add both the live and dry rock together. This will help cure the dry rock more quickly and also help to cycle your tank more quickly.

Not sure what you mean by water changes. When cycling a tank, no need to change your water until you start to get nitrates. I like using the guide below:

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

as a matter of fact you do not want to do water changes while cycling rock, and i would do it right in the tank, not in a rubbermaid bin.

Back
Top Bottom