Eclipse biowheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nucat78

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm getting back into SW after a hiatus of several years. Unfortunately my old Fluval cannister is long dead but I have an Eclipse hood with a biowheel from a FW tank that I want to re-use.

What's the current conventional wisdom on using the biowheel? :confused: I've been searching past threads and it looks like there's a difference of opinion. Some say dump the BW, others don't oppose it although they don't necessarliy endorse it either.

Apologies if I missed a FAQ on this. Thanks!

The main issue will not necessarily be the biowheel, but the Eclipse hood. That hood doesn't have enough lighting for any corals - if you're looking at a fish only tank, that might not be an issue. The other issue though is oxygen exchange. SW tanks that are fully enclosed on top will tend to have low pH due to lack of gas exchange at the surface of the tank. For that reason, most folks run open top tanks or at least only partially cover the top.

Agree with neilanh though... if you have enough live rock, the biowheel won't be needed.

I also agree with the two above. Enough LR and a skimmer IMO are all you need. I also agree that the hood will promote low PH because of poor gas exchange at the surface. BTW welcome to AA

Thanks for the info. I plan on FO right now. Corals are beautiful and I'd love a nanoreef but I think it best to ease back into SW with a couple of "easycare" fish.

Enough LR and a skimmer IMO are all you need.

That's a protein skimmer, yes? (I've been out of SW for longer than I thought. :rolleyes: )

Back
Top Bottom