First S/W Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doza

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the process of setting up my first aquarium. I have read The New Marine Aquarium about 5 times so far. :) I have the following setup:

55 Gallon Glass Aquarium
2 50 Watt Heaters
2 Powerheads (200 GPH each)
1 Seaclone 100 Protein Skimmer
1 Tetratec PF300 Filter

Right now, there is saltwater circulating through the system. In a few days, I will be ordering (cured) live rock. I am not really sure how much rock I will need or what type(s) I should order. I am not looking to spend $500 on rock, since that would leave me unable to buy fish for a few months :( Does anybody have any advice on who I should order from, amounts, types? I live in Northern VA and have had no luck finding any aquarium stores in the area, other than the big chains.

After I do have the rock and have put the substrate in, what types of critters should I get to do the maintenance of the system? How many crabs, shrimp, snails, etc. would i need?

Will my tank be big enough to house a snowflake moray? What other tankmates could I have if I am able to keep a snowflake?

Sorry for the long post. I haven't really had anybody to ask these questions to yet. Hopefully somebody can help me out a little. I have seen a lot of good answers to other questions!

Thanks for any help. :)

doza said:
I am in the process of setting up my first aquarium. I have read The New Marine Aquarium about 5 times so far. :) I have the following setup:

This is a good start, take a look at some of the other books on our Suggested Reading List for even more great information.

55 Gallon Glass Aquarium
2 50 Watt Heaters
2 Powerheads (200 GPH each)
1 Seaclone 100 Protein Skimmer
1 Tetratec PF300 Filter

Also a good start, if your going to use sand as a substrate (sugar grain sized, 4"-6" depth and LR, the HOB filter doesn't need any media-just use it to move water)

Right now, there is saltwater circulating through the system. In a few days, I will be ordering (cured) live rock.

If ordering online the rock will need to be "recured", there will be some die off during the shippin g process. If you don't know how to cure LR take a look at this post for LR Curing Methods

I am not really sure how much rock I will need or what type(s) I should order. I am not looking to spend $500 on rock, since that would leave me unable to buy fish for a few months :( Does anybody have any advice on who I should order from, amounts, types? I live in Northern VA and have had no luck finding any aquarium stores in the area, other than the big chains.

The amount of rock will be determined by your taste, how porous the rock is, what you want the rock to accomplish, and your budget. For nitrification and denitrification, I would recommend about 1lb - 2lbs per gallon. I have heard some good reviews of the fiji rock from FFE, 45lbs for $99.00. With this rock you do not get hand picked pieces though. I have mostly aquacultured LR in my tank and I'm quite pleased with it, IMO you can't go wrong with aquacultured from Tampa Bay Saltwater or Gulf View.

After I do have the rock and have put the substrate in, what types of critters should I get to do the maintenance of the system? How many crabs, shrimp, snails, etc. would i need?

Think snails 8O , Trochus (8-10), Cerith (8-10), Nassarius (4), Stomatella (10), Fighting conchs (2) etc... If you like to live dangerously...you may consider some crabs like scarlet hermits, dwarf zebra hermits, blue leg hermits...sally lightfoot crabs, emerald crabs...) I say live dangerously because the hermits may kill the snails for their shells and IMO all crabs are opportunistic and will eat what they can (to include inverts if another food source is not readily available), that said, I guess I live dangerously.

Will my tank be big enough to house a snowflake moray? What other tankmates could I have if I am able to keep a snowflake?

Yes, but you will limit yourself on tank mates. Small slow moving fish will become snacks as well as any decorative shrimp.

Sorry for the long post. I haven't really had anybody to ask these questions to yet. Hopefully somebody can help me out a little. I have seen a lot of good answers to other questions!

Thanks for any help. :)

Not a problem, questions are the way we learn and when you stop learning, you die....

Back
Top Bottom