Fish suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Umpa Lumpa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I need your help. I've got a 29 gallon tank almost finished with its cycle, I've got 40 lbs of LS and currently 6 lbs of LR, but I'm gonna be placing an order at www.lr.com tomorrow or monday for 30-40 lbs more.

This is what I'm gonna put it it
1 cleaner shrimp
1 Banded Coral shrimp
1 flame anglefish

I would like to add a maroon clownfish but I'm worried that it might fight with the anglefish, will they fight? I'll probably put a few hermit crabs and snails in to help clean it. The flame angle will go in last, but I need some more fish and thats where you come in.

What would you suggest? I like a lot of the damselfish but a friend in the hobby is trying to steer me away from them. So I need you to find me a few relatively cheap fish that are very bright and colorful. For right now I'm not planning any anomenies or corals, I might later on but for now the $400+ light fixtures are keeping me away.

You won't be able to have very many fish in a 29 gallon tank. The maroons are fairly aggressive and territorial. Please don't get any damsels. Cardinals, green chromis, yellow watchman goby, bicolor blenny , all make great smaller additions and the cards and chromis can be added a few at a time since they like to school. Please keep in mind the adult size of your fish and the limit on how many inches of adult fish per gallon recommendations. Also check the fish compatibility guide on the AA home page for what can go together and what size tank you should have them in.

Instead of the maroon, look at an ocellaris clown. You can also look at the royal gramma.
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

I'd also stear clear of the maroon. In a small tank the sand stirring of the mature female will likely drive you to distraction. I actually got mine (5") from a guy who had a mated pair in a 30 and couldn't take it anymore.

Which fish is such a personal decision. I really love my barnacle blenny. What a great personality he has. You should check out some of the sites like www.liveaquaria.com where you can get a feeling for if they're agressive, if they're reef safe (and if not what they care to munch on), tank size and compatiblility. We did a lot of our shopping there or at www.windowtothesea.com. Great pictures, wide selection and lots of info. Once you've got some suspects come back for some great advice and BTDT with the fish you've chosen.

Percula clowns, firefish, royal grammas, damsels (may be aggressive).

You have quite a few options. You just can't add a ton of fish to it.

Back
Top Bottom