fishless cycle help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianr24

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys I'm new to forum and hobby. I am currently on day 20 of cycle of 29 g. Reef. I used Tim's amm. And one and only with dry rock and dry sand. I am dosing amm. Daily up to about 1.5 it's back to zero in 24 hrs nitrite off charts. I havnt done any water changes yet. Which brings me to my ?. My nitrates are wacky one day 60 next day 10.another words they r bouncing around. I understand nitrite high cuz I keep dosing amm. But what would cause nitrate to do that. Oh ya PH steady at 7.8 to 8. I am using two Sep. Tests so I think it accurate both reading same but they r both API. Thx in advance fo any suggestions.

I would say that it's likely a mistake with doing the testing assuming this is API nitrate tests. You have to time the shaking of the bottles and the test vial for the directed amount of time or else it gives an inaccurate reading.

It doesn't really work well to test the nitrate regularly anyways in a cycling tank. The test kits for nitrates reduce the nitrate into nitrite and read the amount. If there's nitrite in the tank already it will throw off your nitrate test; especially if your nitrites are super high.

Just keep doing what you're doing and it will be fine.

First, the nitrate tests in the basic kit and the master reef kit are identical. And somewhat unreliable in that various external (or not nitrate) factors can throw off the readings. But in the cycle , so what. 10, 60, who cares. After the cycle is done massive water changes will lower it and, for the most part, correct the chemical imbalances throwing off your readings.

Second, rule of thumb is 4ppm ammonia converted completely to nitrate in 24 hours, with no residual nitrite either, means your DONE! Check it, you may be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom