found something on a fiji rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thisanthrope

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
this is my first SW tank and I have just purchased some fiji rock. when I came home after work and turned the tank lights I saw this thing sticking out of the fiji rock. it was out about a 1/4 inch and its body was about the diameter of a pencil. the head had about 10 or 12 short brown tenticles spread out in a star pattern with a mouth of sorts in the middle. it slowly sucked itself back into its hole when the lights came on. I assume its a soft coral but why would it only come out when the lights are off?

the tank is still cycling so I havent added any nutrients to the water yet but I do want this thing to survive. the nitrates are still pretty high so will this thing survive?

I'll see if I can get a pic.

Im worried this is an apastia. A photo will tell the tail. If it is what I think is it then you want it to DIE.

Of course it could be a button polyp so a photo is needed.

Does it look like this:
aiptasia.jpg

Or more like this:
button.jpg

Cheers
Steve

more like the first one but I think less tentacles and the tentacles arent as long. light brown body, light brown tentacles with red sections on them. when it sucks itself back into its hole after turning the lights on its head might still be out alittle. it is very camouflaged to the figi rock when its like this what with the red algea and brown rock.

thanks for your help, I have a digi camera but I couldnt find the battery charger last night. I still mean to post a pic.

thisanthrope said:
light brown body, light brown tentacles with red sections on them.

With that description, I am not completely convinced it is aiptasia. Personally, I have not seen any red coloration in them. Could be anemonia majano or possibley an anemone hitchiker.

I would hold off taking any action to remove it until you are able to post a pic to be sure. :eek:

Cheers
Steve

this is the best pic I could get. it only takes a few seconds before this thing is back in its hole after I turn the tank lights on.

I dont have any webspace to link the photo so I have uploaded it to my gallery.

let me know what you think, if you can see it.

thanks

Didn't see anything in your gallery except the freshwater planted tank. Is it still awaiting approval?

Cheers
Steve

Yes, sorry...I should have waited alittle longer before writing.

Without a clearer pic I would say it might be aiptasia. But I am also wondering if it is not a curlycue anemone (Bartholomea annualata). The pic is rather blury. Mabye this pic will help?

83.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Hello, sorry to keep dragging this on but I got a couple more pics I took this morning in my gallery if you wouldnt mind taking a look at. this is a head on shot not showing the body which is about a 1/4 inch when extended and the diameter of a pencil.

I dont think its a curlyque, the pics are alittle better focused but still might be difficult to identify.

I still have nothing I have purchased in my tank and want to identify this before I put anything in. the tank has cycled and I am getting anxious. If this is something I want to keep, I hope it will stay alive because I have not put any source of nutrients in the water column to sustain it nor do I know what to add to the water yet to keep coral.

thanks

To be honest with you I cannot really tell, there is some resemblance to the culrycue. Since the tank is still new? I would wait a bit longer before taking action, time is still on your side. If you see anymore than what you have now (1 or 2?) then I would definately get rid of them.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom