Future 180 Gallon Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife didn't want me to clean the sand because we have a newborn and she thought it would take up too much time. I have to do what the boss says.

I should receive the new sand by Tuesday. I guess I'll wait till I get the sand to add everything else. I just don't know how bad it would be to have 3 yellow tangs, 1 sailfin Tang, 1 Blue hippo, 1 Foxface, 4 clown fish, 1 Lawn mower blenny, 1 bicolor blenny, 2 Chromis, 1 Damsel and 1 mandarin Goby all in my 90.

They've all been in there since Monday and I've seen some of them fight for territory. I don't know if its better to switch them to the 180 and have them deal with the sand or leave them in the 90 and have them fight for space?

Yikes...that's a lot of fish. you can add sand safely with livestock in the tank. It must be done carefully though..and personally, I'd rather not.

I don't use one. Some people do. calcium and other trace elements must be replenished somehow. I do it with large water changes.

Can someone suggest a good heater with a small footprint so that I can fit it inside my sump?

Here's what I have so far. The water is still cloudy because the sand I got is real fine.

image-3345307227.jpg

image-1053832919.jpg

image-2124908191.jpg

image-2355096211.jpg

image-155799193.jpg

Thanks, is a UV sterilizer necessary? This tank came with one but I'm not sure if I want to use it or not. What are the benefits?

It kills things that are suspended in the water column. Not recommended for reefs because it kills pods and such.

Damped said:
It kills things that are suspended in the water column. Not recommended for reefs because it kills pods and such.

+1. Works great for controlling algae and the such but it can severely harm the health of corals

It would work in a fowlr but in a reef I don't think it would be healthy for the corals/pod population. I've seen them clear up freshwater tanks that had green murky looking water to crystal clear water in about a month.

I would sell it, more money for corals :D

Following! Love the rock work plenty of swimming space. Yes a uv sterilizer "can help"/"may" prevent parasites such as ick from taking hold in your DT. But beneficial organisms like pods will be killed.

Thanks, I'm going to keep it around just incase I decide to build a FOWLR in the future. How do you take a good picture of the tank? I can't seem to get a good picture when all my lights are on. I think I need to upgrade my iPhone.

When I have a chance ill post pictures of my sump I'ld like to get your thoughts and ideas of how I can improve it.

Just do yourself a favor and use a decent digital camera... Trying to snap quality photos with these iphones is impossible

Here's a pic I took with my iphone 5. I think it looks pretty good, obviously no where near as good as the pro cameras...

Attachments

• image-3736091823.jpg
    image-3736091823.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 124
Nice picture.

Here's my sump. First chamber / drains into two filter socks with skimmer. Second is my chaeto with temp and ph probe. Last is my ATO with GFO and carbon reactor and return pump.

Let me know your thoughts and how to improve this sump.

Not sure if I'm going to buy a calcium reactor because I'm out of space inside my sump.

image-3437851290.jpg

image-2535948705.jpg

image-416038451.jpg

image-129757548.jpg

Just a suggestion, if you look at the back pf your surge protector, theres holes in it to wall maount it. All you need to do is stink 2 screws into the wall and you can hang it there securely. (measure the distance between the holes first obviously) this will get your power supply up and away from the sump and water

Vodka dosing jump start.

I decide to begin vodka dosing since my nitrates and phosphates are high. I carefully read how to do this and finally took the plunge. After slowly reading the how to's I ended up dosing way too much!!!

Instead of the suggested amount for my size tank of .8ml I dosed 8ml.

I did a 30 gallon WC and then dosed the 8ml. I'm doing another 30 gallon WC tomorrow. Hopefully I don't find any of my livestock floating around.

Back
Top Bottom