getting macro out of a bed of zoos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a nice rock covered in zoos....problem is it is also covered in macroalgae (caulerpa and some red/purplish stuff that grows like crazy in my tank). I didn't realize how invasive the stuff was until it was too late. I have taken the rock out and tried to pick off all the macro but that only helps for a while.....any ideas, tips or tricks on getting this stuff off the zoos?

I would qt this and just continue with the manual removal . Also watch your levels of Disolved organics and such as they feed off that and contiue to grow

Just curious what quarantining it would do. Are you saying that with more pristine water conditions the macro will die out? Just curious because my little zoa clump has the same issue - some reddish macro that grows slow, but I'd rather it not be there.

Yes it would put it in a more controlled enviroment with less nutrients in the water and in theory that should cause it to die off ...also by hand removal (I know long task it would keep it from the loose pieces from becoming free floating in your display and latching on else where ... removal of macro is difficult but can be done by hand removal and limmiting the nutrients in its envroment

extract the zoos if nothing else works. I have had to do this to a few zoo rocks. sucks.

Back
Top Bottom