growing macro algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blondek727

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a powder blue tang about 4 inches long he is on a diet of fresh ulva and red gracilaria i want to use what i have and grow more of it for him to eat. right now i have it in my sump but it doesnt seem to be growing i think its because of a lack of nutients in my tank what would be a good set up for growing these macro algae's this is what i was thinking tell me what u think i was going to put them in a ten gallon tank with 40w of 50/50 pc lighting and a HOB filter and a heater to keep the water at around 70 degrees from what i read thats the best temp for production and just throw a frozen silver side in there every month or as needed.

yes there is lighting its the same lighting i was gonna use on the ten gallon 40w 50/50 pc and melosu58 i know they like it but mine doesnt touch the stuff his fav is ulza and red graci. or as my friend from IPSF.com would say tang heaven green and red

I think that you should find yourself an Asian market and buy your red gracilaria there. It is called "Ogo" and is very cheap there. I get mind for under $4.00 for a hugh bunch.

Growing red gracilaria is a bit of a task. You would have to keep the water under 78 degrees and it becomes a pain in the drain.

Here is a picture of my recent bunch of "OGO".
img_1111245_0_6e8a36ff3b56541e2430791b9a77078c.jpg

As you can see it's $5.99 a pound and this batch cost me $2.76. Not a bad deal. I have found that if you salt it with some rocksalt it last much longer.

Back
Top Bottom