Have A Empty Tank want to now what i need to have saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

podge387

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an empty 10 gallon tank with hood, heater, aquaclear 300 filter, was wondering what else i will need to start a small saltwater aquarium? Any advice at all would be great.

Thank You.

Hello Podge and welcome to AA! Also welcome to saltwater! I think before anyone plunges into saltwater (or freshwater for that matter) should absorb as much knowledge as you can and ask as many questions as you may have. You came to the right place. Read the articles that are linked on the top of this page and check out the other threads in the forum.

I think forst you need to decide what your goals are with a saltwater tank. While very do-able a 10G may be a bit small for a first SW tank as in the saltwater world the smaller that tank the harder it is to maintain constant levels. Also SW fish in general need more room than freshwater species so a 10G would have limited livestock options.

What are your goals? Fish only or nano-reef? Liverock and livesand? Keep reading and hang in there!

R-

I have looked at some of those articles and come to some desicions, i have decide to put live rock in because most people o have talked to say it is much better than live sand, and also have decided that i would like the tank to have small fish. I have also fuond some articles mentioning powerheads and protein skimmers and was wondering if this a necesary to have, besides my aquaclear filter any other thingd i might need would be welcomed thank you everyone for your help.

Welcome to AA...first thing to do is pick yourself up a copy of "The Concientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. Its a great book for salt beginners and can be a great help. In a FOWLR tank like you are thinking of doing, you would want the powerhead/s for sure, along with the filter return, the powerheads will provide additional flow assuring that as much water as possible flows around and through the LR. Keep in mind that you are using the LR as a biofilter. The protein skimmer I would recommend for a small tank, it will help keep water quality problems to a minimum. Also keep in mind that your LR will benefit from stronger lighting, this isn't necessary but will help promote coralline algae growth and sustain any light needy inverts that may come with your LR. Come back with any more questions you may have. HTH

It doesn't have to be expensive for a little FO system if you do weekly water changes, read up and you should have no problems keeping a few Nemo clowns in a 10 or 15; see http://www.bestfish.com/ssss.html.

You will basically need:
- sand or cc
- a small power head ~150gph (for more flow around the rocks)
- salt mix
- tap water conditioner like Prime
- hydrometer (test salinity of water)
- sw test kit. (will need at least ammonia, nitrite & ph)

You should buy some lr since you don't need all that much or maybe lr & a combination of dry base rock for around $1 lb, check all your lfs for dry base rock or "coral rock". Use that instead of fake decorations, it will turn to lr in a few months as the life from the lr will spread to it. Read up and take your time, and ask lots of questions... :)

jackdp said:
Welcome to AA...first thing to do is pick yourself up a copy of "The Concientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. Its a great book for salt beginners and can be a great help.

I agree 100%. This should be your first step towards a SW tank. I will have to disagree with keeping "a few" clowns in a 10g tank though. IMO, one clown is the limit for a 10g and I'd stay with one of the smaller ones. An ocellaris would probably do well. A skimmer would be fine on a 10g, but not necessary IMO. You can maintain water quality and trace elements by doing small weekly water changes. Also, most of the skimmers that will fit a 10g are not very good quality. If I did use a skimmer, I would go with one of the small CC skimmers. You could have a cleaner shrimp and some snails in there as well. JMHO.

thanx for all the advice guys i have t alked this over witht the rest of my fsmily and we have decide to get a bigger tank prb a 20 or 30 gallon so we have some more animal chices and just wondering if a aquaclear 300 will do the job and do i put carbon inserts in it? any more advice for a slightly bigger tank would be great.

as a new user i find this sight great every one is so helpfull and inmformative thanx for everything.

Also i have been looking at protein skimmers and they are fairly expencive online is this a normal thing any good sights with low prices would be greatly thanked

Any really effective skimmer is going to be expensive. For a 20 or 30 gallon I would look at the Red Sea Prizm. Its around $80 and though not the best, it will get the job done. I have a 20 gallon with one on it and I can't complain. Again, if you do 10-15% water changes weekly and keep a low bioload, the skimmer could be considered optional. For filtration all I use is LR, flow and the prizm very simple to maintain...good luck!

The Prizm would be the least skimmer I'd use. I would recommend an Aqua C Remora with an MJ1200 pump...they are not cheap though. You pretty much get what you pay for with skimmers though. As long as you have 1.5-2lbs of LR per gallon, you will not need the HOB filter. I would buy a good skimmer and 2-3 powerheads for added flow. Buy the book we recommended first though...that will help you more than anything. JMHO.

I would use lr in addition to the 300 filter, or you can get some base rock for around $1 lb - its less $$ then most decorations.

Yea skimmers are not cheap! You will need a hang on skimmer like prizm or backpack or the like, $80 - $ 150. This can be added a few months down the line if you are diligent with water changes. I would say address lr and a ph first, cycle the tank and then worry about the skimmer....

Back
Top Bottom