help needed please, newbie here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well thats the only way that i'm doing it, i'm not buying the rock till my fish tank is cycled.
plus it aint bad for my tank, only for the fish, but i'm not keeping the damsels so i don't care about there health. i know its cruel but i'd rather do it this way then to feed the empty tank and let the food rot to build ammonia.

kawasakizx636 said:
plus it aint bad for my tank, only for the fish, but i'm not keeping the damsels so i don't care about there health.
You would be better off in another hobby. Your mentality does not fit this one.

it aint bad for my tank, only for the fish, but i'm not keeping the damsels so i don't care about there health. i know its cruel but i'd rather do it this way

8O :evil: :!: :!: 8O :evil:

Please re-think your approach or find another hobby not involving living things!

Haha. You are going to have continued failure with your tank and waste a lot of money, and kill a lot of animals. I don't know why you think what you are doing is correct...actually you are setting yourself up for a very long and troublesome setup.
If its because that is what your LFS is telling you, again I'd find another store.

Perhaps your company should find someone else to set up their show tank.

A showcase tank and setting up without benefit of having done sufficient research will not work. True, this site and these folks are willing to bend over backwards to help you, but you've at least gotta pretend you're helping yourself. Seems as though you want advice, but still wanna do things the way YOU think they should be done - along with advice from an LFS, which is always suspect in this hobby.

So, you gonna do this on your own with no research (OK, bad lfs advice doesn't count :roll: ) or do you want us to help? Look, I'm not trying to fan any flames here, just observing how difficult you are making this.

Do you have a test kit so you can monitor the water levels while these damsels are cycling your tank? Another thing - your tank is too small for tangs. No triggers either.

I'm willing to bet money that you'll consider not posting any more here and doing this the way you want to anyway. I'd love to lose my money on that one if yuo decide to prove me wrong. :wink:

i know its cruel but i'd rather do it this way then to feed the empty tank and let the food rot to build ammonia.

A dead cocktail shrimp would be cheaper than 2 damsels....

I agree!

WOW... I just stumbled upon this thread at this point. Hard to believe the comments about not caring about the health were actually said. Who gets into keeping live animals without having their health at the forefront of their endeavor?

At this point, I wouldn't even bother giving any advice if they do return. It's a lost cause.

i don't plan on keeping the damsels, the LFS told me i can bring them back. he told me that feeding an empy tank and let it rot will work but it gives the tank all the bad stuff but if i get some damsels and let them eat and digest the food, then i get the good stuff, and about live rock, all the good stuff will die off the cure rock if i put it n the non cycled tank.
and no, i don't have a test kit, i just have the ammonia button. But i plan on buying one this weekend.

Sounding good, but I still hear that inner voice telling you you want to keep the damsels. Take the damsels back (c'mon, you can do it :wink: ), read from the "Articles" section at this site on fishless cycling, get one medium size grocery store shrimp, and get your test kit.

And one more investment - Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" - also available in the "Library" section at this site. Just ignore his very old school ideas about cycling with damsels :wink: -- - book was written some time ago.

In the 4 weeks or so it'll take to cycle the tank, you'll have read the book and allowed us to help you better. You'll be on your way then to that show tank. I commend you for wanting to take care of it yourself - as opposed to paying a pro to come in. Just gotta learn a bit more to have the best chance for success.

All that said, It sounds like like I'm losing my earlier bet. 8) OK with me. If you'd like to send me a PM from time to time, I'm available to help - since it really does sound like you're coming around now. :) I may ask that we take some of those PMs to the main boards so others can learn too when we can. We'll play it by ear.

I forgot, you got rock in there yet? If not, it'd be a good time to have it in there while cycling. Gotta get that test kit. Don't do the dip strips IMO.

I'd have to agree with austinsdad...on everything he said. ;)

Add in the liverock now. Who told you that the good stuff will die off? It won't. Adding in the rock now gives your system a chance to get a great cycle in and for bacteria (which comes from ammonia breakdown) to colonize your rock. The longer rock is in there, the more colonized it becomes and a better biological filter you'll have. I cycled with liverock, I have numerous friends that cycled with liverock...no harm done.

Also, what is this stuff that your store calls "bad stuff"?

this weekend i'm gonna get the live rock and test kit.
i'd get it sonner but i work 10 hour shifs and there closed when i'm dne work.

Wow... that is the most cruel comment i've ever read on this forum... But... IMO... you kinda deserved that :(

I did not really mean to be cruel. Believe it or not I was trying to be constructive. I was merely pointing out that if that was your mindset it would be better if you had another hobby. It looks like he is doing ok now. To me life is not cheap. weather it is human or marine. I hope none are offended.

Kawasaki did real well thru all that I thought. I know you didn't mean to be cruel, but it seemed some "might" have been as they jumped on. I could be wrong, but it kinda felt like it at time. I agree. Once those damsels are returned, looks like he's on his way now.

The damage was done, for me anyway, after this comment was made.... "i'm not keeping the damsels so i don't care about there health. i know its cruel but i'd rather do it this way then to feed the empty tank and let the food rot to build ammonia."

Some may be more forgiving than I, and I commend that. But for me, it just says that if health and cruelty isn't a concern in the beginning, then no miracle cure is gonna cause a change for the duration.

Melosu's comment about mentality wasn't cruel in anyway... Cruelty doesn't even factor in on point worded like that. The only thing he's guilty of is telling-it-like-it-is.

I am glad the damsels got returned though!

Sorry for the lack of forgiveness, but today....it's where I am at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom