Help on stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomchong22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i thought i would go into a good detail on what i plan on stocking my 60 with and was looking for some input.

Fish: 1 diamond goby, 2 fals perc clownfish, 2 fire fish goby,2 green chromis, and one large main fish(need help on this maybe a kole tang??)

Inverts: 1 blue linekia starfish, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 turbo snail, 11 nassarius snails, 2 blue hermit crabs.

coral: assorted mushrooms, torch coral, 2 clams, green tip hammer coral, brain coral, button polyps, zoas, 1 feather duster, 1 kenya tree, 1 frogspawn coral.

i have done allot of research in making this list and i hope everything is ok. here is some info on my tank. its 60 gal,(48"l x 13"w x 24"h). sand bed is 2 1/2in deep with a mix of all sizes of sand. lights are 48" nova extreme 8 bulb fixture. 3 10000k 3 blue bulbs. 2 red color enhancing bulbs. overflow and sump. around 70-80lbs of live rock.

Also here is a pic of my tank

Attachments

• image-1139331107.jpg
    image-1139331107.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 117
Well the thing about the kole tang is they only get about 5" in length from what I. Have read unlike others that get to be 9 - 12". Since the tank is 4feet long I thought it would be ok and have plenty of swimming room for the kole tang.

That really is pushing it. A stressed tang can often get ich and die. There are other fish you could showcase, including many of the ~5" fairy wrasses, flame angels, and so on. A kole in a 4 foot tank would be a bit cramped.

Some of the angels on this page are usually reef safe and fit in a 60 gallon. You could have a few of them if you chose dissimilar species. http://liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+16

That was my second option. A coral beauty angel fish. Its hard to pick one that is reef safe when they get older. Any input on a foxface rabit fish or a butterfly fish? I heard mixed things and tank requirements for them.

Pretty much all butterfly fish are not reef safe. Look at the fairy wrasses, a lot of them look pretty amazing. And a foxface would be sort of cramped in a 60. If you plan on upgrading to a 90+ you could buy something small and have a few years before it would need a bigger tank.

Ok thanks for the info. I have decided on three possible fish... A red striped dwarf angelfish. Flame angelfish. Or a Lemmon peal angelfish. I see that they are reef safe with caution...I do plan on having a reef but not really any stony corals(that is what the website said they will pick at)

The bicolor angelfish on that same page looks amazing. I may have to get one when I upgrade to a 55, so long as it proves reef safe :p

I def do like the bi colored angel. I'm thinking in two weeks picking up the two fire fish gobys and the coral banded shrimp. The last fish I am going to add is my main fish :) man I'm excited to get them all in the tank. I'm also contemplating getting another 30 ish lbs of rock.

I had two dwarf angels and they almost wrecked my reef. They killed some LPS and soft corals. They dont just mess with hard corals. They also mess with soft fleshy corals. Be ready to jerk them out when you do go reef.

Lol well that's not reassuring I already have started going to a reef tank. So far I have a Kenya tree, frogspawn, green star polyps, and a featherduster with two false percent clownfish. I kinda regret getting the 60 lol because it is just under what I need for tanga and other larger fish. I might end up getting a baby tang fish for about 2 years then by that time move from a 60 to a 120gal tank. Still don't know yet.

Back
Top Bottom