Horseshoe Crabs, Shrimp <-- Good In New Setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidtokyo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new setup that is almost done cycling, it is only a 20 gallon so obviouslly I am not going to have much in it. There are 2 small damsels in there now, and I am wondering if and when I can put in a horseshoe crab and a shrimp. Are they compatible? Special care involved? Are either too aggressive? Basically can I do it?

other info:
The aquarium has standard florescent lighting.
A power filter sitting on the back made for a 30 gallon, an undergravel filter, an internal filter usually used for terarriums and stuff (there is a lot of water flow), crushed coral for substrate.

THank you!

If your tank has cycled (ammonia and nitrite have risen and fallen to 0), then you can add a shrimp at any time. Depending on what you want to keep, some shrimp are better than others ie; reef safe. Horseshoe crabs, on the other hand, are not good aquarium inhabitants. They get way too large for a 20g, I have seen them as large as 24" in diameter here in the gulf. You won't have a prob there though, cause they will starve long before then. They eat critters out of the sand bed, which I see you don't have a sand bed, cause your using a UGF. The crab would be pretty uncomfortable not being able to get under the sand.

I'd also suggest that you lose the UGF, they are difficult to maintain and will produce copious amounts of nitrates.

Peppermints are probably the best shrimp for beginners. very hardy, and very affordable. however most of them are hiders. ive had good luck with several different types of shrimp (peppermints, skunk back cleaners, fire(blood) shrimp, coral banded and harliquins). IMO one of the main keys to success is to acclimate shrimp slowly. with the exception of peppermints that dont seem to have a hard time acclimating at all.

Back
Top Bottom