How to raise pH levels!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xhilr8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I've had my tank for about 2 and a half months now and stocked with 2 fish for around 6 weeks. The problem is that my pH levels keeps falling to around 7.8 and I've been using seachem marine buffer everyday for around 2 weeks now and it wont go above 7.8. Even if I double or triple the dosage, it won't increase (when I test the water the next day).

I tried doing a water change and cleaning the filters but had no effect. I have been dosing the tank with Seachem advantage calcium in the past (but have stopped since when I got calcium levels to 400mg/l)

Anyone have any hints on how to overcome this problem? I only have 2 fish in there. A small percula clown and a bi-colour angel.

You Cant mix the buffer in salt water, if you are then thats the problem.

You have to mix it in RO first then add it to the tank.

How are you measuring the pH? Meter? Test kit?

When are you testing your pH? It is not uncommon for the pH to be its lowest during the morning before the lights come on and its highest right before the lights go out. Before I started dripping Kalk, my morning pH would measure ~7.9 before the lights came on and would measure ~8.3 right before the lights went out.

Try measuring the pH right before the lights go out.

We are having a pH problem as well... we think it's the reason for our pale, red blotched yellow tang. We test with a Aquarium Pharm. test kit. We are going to get a better kit SOON.

I have a Hagen alkalinity test kit and will test tonight.

Back
Top Bottom