How's this for a start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilraen

Aquarium Advice Freak
For a 55 gal, I have about 85-90lbs of live rock, an aquac remora skimmer, a fluval 304 filter, an 8w UV sterilizer and 2 14" long airstones. Is this good enough? Thanks to all!

no airstones and I suggest looking into getting a sump...the fluval are good but you will be cleaing it alot with saltwater
the rest looks good...not sure about the UV though...dont know much about them

ok about the fluval, although it has to do for awhile since I'm sort of low on $$, but why not airstones?? thanks! :D

Saltwater gets it's airation through filtration and powerheads. The bubbles will cause problems with corals and liverock. You just don't need them and it will cut down on your power bill since you don't have to run the airpumps.

Your LR will be the primary means of building bacterial colonies. However, you can use the Fluval to run carbon every now and then to polish the water. I have to agree with Kat - no airstones. As far as the UV goes, decide on what exactly you want it to do, then determine what wattage you need for a 55G. 8w may be appropriate, but if it is killing on parasites, then a higher wattage may be required. Just a thought..

Mike

Back
Top Bottom