im just getting started i need some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brandyn85 said:
as of now i have 100lb of base rock from reefcleaners and about 50lb of crushed coral sand,nother 20 or 30lb of live sand when i get my water, im thinking i may put some small rock chunks in the sump, just because i have them and no place in the display for them. other than that i am planning on running my sump with nothing in it except my pump until i get my protein skimmer,

as for my stock list, i need to do some more reading on compatibility but i'm thinking a couple clowns, a blue tang, i really want a naso, and maybe some chromis. i've been keeping track of neat fish that i find on the web but i think i need to get closer to that point before i decide for sure.

here is an update pic, not sure if i like the rock setup yet.

Looks good! What are the dimensions of your tank?

re-arranged my rocks what do you guys think?

Attachments

• tank 3.jpg
    tank 3.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 92
Looks like its coming along really nice. I would do a 5 to 6 inch deep sand bed if possible.

its hard to be patient! i thought it would be easy but i feel like ive been looking at an empty tank forever. i think i will have time to get water tomorrow after work.

Coming along great. Hey I know you were saying you wanted to get a couple of tangs, but they really need at least a 6' tank. Usually at least a 125 or larger. Sorry to be the "tang police," but a 6' would be best. Still lots of options for your tank though. Check out liveaquaria.com and see what they are.

well that''s why i'm here! thanks for the heads up. i'll check that site.

Brandyn85 said:
well that''s why i'm here! thanks for the heads up. i'll check that site.

Absolutely, and please don't miss understand, I'm not trying to be rude. I have made the same mistake and have lost fish. I just wish I would have asked before not asked why.

Some cool ones I would recommend are foxface, maybe a dwarf angel, or some cardinals. Your not that limited so have fun and good hunting. Looking forward to seeing your tank flourish!

not at all, i'd rather do it right than wonder what happened later. that website is great i found some other styles of fish that i really liked on there. i like that they give you some info on the fish

Yeah it's a great research website. I use it when I'm at one of my Lfs bc they are always saying, "oh yeah that will work and yeah it's few compatible" when sometimes its not. Helps with the impulse buys.

got my water today, tank is up and running. the guy at my lfs gave me a baggy of live sand out of his show tank and he also gave me some ammonia to get the cycle going.

i got too much saltwater today, how long is it good for? or should i throw it away?

Well done. Saltwater doesn't go bad, but the next time you use it I would make sure it's mixed we'll. Salt tends to separate a bit.

tank has been up and running for a few days now, i got a few pounds of nice purple rock in there. everything is looking good so far.

hey guys im starting to see what i think is a diatom bloom, im getting a brownish fuzz all over everything, should i do a water change soon? this is something ive searched a lot and some people say dont do it for a few weeks to a month in the first part of the cycle and some say do it every week. what would be best? any people tried both ways? also a friend of mine had to yellow tail damsels in his tank he didnt want anymore because they were picking on his tang so he gave them to me, they seem to be pretty happy in there.

Brandyn85 said:
hey guys im starting to see what i think is a diatom bloom, im getting a brownish fuzz all over everything, should i do a water change soon? this is something ive searched a lot and some people say dont do it for a few weeks to a month in the first part of the cycle and some say do it every week. what would be best? any people tried both ways? also a friend of mine had to yellow tail damsels in his tank he didnt want anymore because they were picking on his tang so he gave them to me, they seem to be pretty happy in there.

Good, diatom blooms are good. Have you tested your water lately?

yes, ammonia was 1.0, nitrite 0, ph 7.9 and the nitrate was bright yellow in the test tube. my brother in law couldnt find the card but he said it was good if it was yellow and not orange. i just ordered my test kit a few days ago so im borrowing his for now.

Showing ammonia is good, you want to go through the cycle though and show nitrites and then nitrates. When you start showing nitrates, your cycle is pretty much done. No ammonia, or nitrites, Low nitrates and balanced ph and you will be ready for stock. Your on your way.

Back
Top Bottom