In need of some advice from some reef experts!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cofano32

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
okay well im getting ready to cycle my tank and i want a reef tank however i plan on moving this spring. This will not be a perminate move just a temp for a year or so for college. I know your suppose to wait about a year to add corals and anemomes. My question is if i happen to set up my SW tank now as a reef would i be able to move my corals and anemome without killing them? or would it work like when you move fish? i just would like to know so i know if i should skip the reef all together for a few years or not? please take you time and get back to me i have some time before i add anything....

Dont know about the expert part. You can move them. You`ll just need to keep them warm and temp stable. I know folks that have moved corals.

Sweet deal then the reef is on!!!! Do you think i would be able to add an anemome and some coral before i add the fish? I've read that you can do this but everyone on AA usually has fish fish? I only plan on having a small amount of fish A mated pair of clowns is my #1 goal not sure if i want false precula and true precula. and input on these? 1 orange spotted goby. 1 pink spotted watchman goby? can i have two diffrent types? And maybe a chalk bass or a damsel idk and idea for a 5th fifth?

Sweet deal then the reef is on!!!! Do you think i would be able to add an anemome and some coral before i add the fish? I've read that you can do this but everyone on AA usually has fish fish? I only plan on having a small amount of fish A mated pair of clowns is my #1 goal not sure if i want false precula and true precula. and input on these? 1 orange spotted goby. 1 pink spotted watchman goby? can i have two diffrent types? And maybe a chalk bass or a damsel idk and idea for a 5th fifth?

Yes you can move a reef. No problem there. It takes planning and a lot of work.

Waiting a year is more for the anemone then the corals. With corals you want to have stable water conditions, good flow and good lighting. There are a lot of tanks out there that have no fish in them at all.

I would suggest skipping the chalk bass and the damsel. The bass can become aggressive and will probably harass other fish in the tank. The same goes for the damsel.

I would also suggest going with one or the other of the gobies you selected.

Clowns - Either one you choose look for tank raised, they will be much hardier. If you aren't planning on buying a true mated pair get one larger then the other, that should help in pairing off. There are no guarantees on that happening.

Hope that helps you out some.

when you move them just bag them up like the local fish store does and put the bags in a big cooler to protect them and keep them warm. Or if its warm out side take the cooler lid off.

two gobies may chase each other around but 55 gallon tank should give them both enough room.

there will be over 75 pounds of live live in there with many caves and a bunch of different soft corals. not sure if i wanna see if the mated pair of clows will host something else until i get an anemome if i do

there will be over 75 pounds of live live in there with many caves and a bunch of different soft corals. not sure if i wanna see if the mated pair of clows will host something else until i get an anemome if i do

Clowns are funny about hosting something. I have and a RBTA for some time now and they took a long time to "move in". It is possible they never will host an anemone. It's kind of hit or miss with them. If you have lots of LPS it is likely they will take to a torch or frogspawn without an anemone present.

Back
Top Bottom