Just setup my new Frang Tank (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewInTown

Aquarium Advice Activist
The Lfs in town went out of business and they where liquidating everything
I paid 70$ for all this except for the lights. they had the tank up and running for around two months but never had any coral in it.

let me know what you guys think, or how I could make it better. I think Im going to add another level or two in the back.

I just threw a pice of lps and some mushrooms in to see how they do before I start fraging all of my sps.

the tank is a 40 gal and Im currently running One 250w 10k Mh
I might be changing it to a 20K xm. I know people think that 10K
grows coral faster but in my experience the only thing its good at is growing algae and making my coral brown.

Attachments

• proptank2.jpg
    proptank2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 136
  • proptank.jpg
    proptank.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 36
Nice deal... adding other levels would be all that i would do.. Maybe cut the level you have in there now so you can put some low light stuff on the bottom.. And make it easier to clean when needed.

not a bad idea on cutting out the lower level.

you think i should add LR for better water quality/stability? what if I covered the bottom with Lr and then ran one of the flow pipes down their?

I was thinking of adding some chorm's(sp?) because I know acro and other corals feed on their waste.

thanks for the ideas

NewInTown said:
the tank is a 40 gal and Im currently running One 250w 10k Mh
I might be changing it to a 20K xm. I know people think that 10K
grows coral faster but in my experience the only thing its good at is growing algae and making my coral brown.

10k with some actinic (~420nm) is best if your doing a wide variety of corals, IMO. Brown btw is the color of a healthy coral (Unless its supposed to be some other color) Coral that is white or blanched is coral that is bleaching and will surely die if not corrected for. In short, brown coloration means the presence of zooanthellae which is good.
Best of luck with your project and please post update photos!

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom