Keeping the sand stirred?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I keep getting my sand covered in brown/purple algae. It's like a film on it. I have 5 nasarius snails but they don't seem to stir it up very well. Any ideas what I should put in?

I have about 19 Nassarius in my 55 and 2 conchs (the smaller will be going to the 30g when it ages a little more). Might just need to add few more Nassarius. How big is your tank? Might need a little more flow too, how many PH ya got in there?

It's a 46g bow. I have 2 power heads and my return pump pushes quite a bit of water too. But now that you mention it where it's showing up on the sand is a pretty low flow area...

Yeah, algae tends to accumulate where there's low flow. I have 3 PH in my 55 to prevent dead areas. And I would add some more Nassarius when you can, that just doesn't seem like enough to me for that size tank. :)

Hope the nassarius will breed mine did now I have hundreds of the little buggars. Lol that's mama still halfway in the sand.

Attachments

• image-1437544033.jpg
    image-1437544033.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 98
That's awesome. I thought mine were breeding cause they were stuck together but I don't know. One died or got killed and she'll stolen by a hermit. I need to put some bigger shells in there...

I seem to have another kind of snail bloom as well. Little round looking guys. Then this morning I'm looking at the tank and one of my zebra snail looks to be doing some funky business. Releasing clouds of who knows what into the water. Got some pics. I'm lost on the one.

Attachments

• image-3329446239.jpg
    image-3329446239.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 93
  • image-442526356.jpg
    image-442526356.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 84
You really want your sand moved around? Get a pistol shrimp! Since mine has entered the tank it's just been crazy! New sand on top old sand on bottom and everything in between. This thing is a animal lol.

I keep getting my sand covered in brown/purple algae. It's like a film on it. I have 5 nasarius snails but they don't seem to stir it up very well. Any ideas what I should put in?

What you most likely have is redslime algae and a lot of newer tanks go thought this. Its really more of a bacteria than an algae. There is a product called red slime remover that kills this bacteria in your tank and most of the time it won't come back. I used it and it was awesome.

Google red slime algae and see for yourself, I'm betting by the discription and it being on the sand it's what you have...

Animal-Chin said:
What you most likely have is redslime algae and a lot of newer tanks go thought this. Its really more of a bacteria than an algae. There is a product called red slime remover that kills this bacteria in your tank and most of the time it won't come back. I used it and it was awesome.

Google red slime algae and see for yourself, I'm betting by the discription and it being on the sand it's what you have...[/QUOTE

Tongan nass snails they are way bigger than comman nass

Back
Top Bottom