light pollution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RMPD109 said:
Where ambient light does not affect the tank. If you can see inside the tank with any clarity, it's getting too much light. Fish need a period of darkness where they are basically imobile for 6-8 hrs. If not, they will quickly become stressed and sickly.
Steve-s
Does this include the 3/4 watt moon light LED. My coralife came with 2 led that I run opposite of the 10,000k and acintic.
Not the same issue. The LED'S will not have the same effect as ambient daylight.

Cheers
Steve

okay guys- my point is many fish are used to living at fair depths, where light is very limited. they are used to "making due" with a little amount of light so i assume many fish will be bothered by even the smallest amount of stray light. the tank is on 11 am to 11 pm now so it gets a good midnight to eight am of PITCH black now. just my 2 pennies.

makana said:
okay guys- my point is many fish are used to living at fair depths, where light is very limited. they are used to "making due" with a little amount of light so i assume many fish will be bothered by even the smallest amount of stray light.
A majority (if not all) captive marine fish species are not from deep waters. Being primarily reef fish, they are from shallower areas where light penetration is quite good. They are also acustom to a clearly defined and consistant night period where they can rest. Ambient room light is on a much different scale than that of natural moon light.

Cheers
Steve

update:
been on 12/12 for a week or so. 11 am to 11 pm with some background light from 9am-11am from the sun peering through the window. everyone is HAPPY as could be.
i met some kids down the block with a nearly empty 55g reef. theyve had it for a year with a few fish and LR but only one Ricordia yuma which had a baby next to it :) and a sebae anemone.
i showed them our reef and they were excited. they were scared to take frasgs becasue they havent ever doen it and wanted to see me in action so i fragged them a few zoos on a "multicultural" zoo rock and they were so excited. those frags opened today and they were even more amazed. now i think i have their baby yuma coming my way (i hope! :)). my point: a great deal of positivity can come if one introduces themself to their neighbors and gives them propogations and teh know-how to take their own cuttings. the wild reef has an intrinsic right to live and thrive just as we do. hobbyists should not need to take more coral or fish now that aquaculture is so readily practiced on many species. for the species we do not know how to aquaculture we must invest a great deal of research and technique to make it possible.
think of all the things we are aquaculturing: so many corals can be fragged, many fish and inverts are breedable with the right care and feeding. just so "food for thought" :).
like i always say...

Back
Top Bottom