Lighting and flow for a 29 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessaathena0822

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I was wondering what lighting would be best for my 29g. I have a few zoas and a gsp frag and I want them to grow more and exhibit their coloring.
My tank is an aqueon 29g and is 36" long.
I currently have an aqueon actinic light in there for temporary use before I get a new and better light.

I also wanted to know what power head I should be using in there, because I got one from Amazon (songjoy wave maker 660gph) and it seems waaaay too strong for my little tank.

Are the corals open? Reaching for light? My bet is the lighting is your main issue on why growth is slow/poor coloration

Yes the corals are open and reaching upwards. I know I need a new light ASAP and I wanted to know what would be better for them & also what kind of power head would be best as well

Are the corals open? Reaching for light? My bet is the lighting is your main issue on why growth is slow/poor coloration

What would be a good/ possibly more affordable light I could get? Another issue is also that the tank is 18" tall and I need the light to penetrate through enough to light up my corals and help them grow
On a second note, what is a good coral food? Right now I am just using some mysis juices for them.

You don't need to feed photosynthetic corals. They will get all they need from the light. Coral 'foods' will simply foul up the water column and cause more issues.
As for a light, would you be looking to modify the lid or remove it to accommodate a light?

You don't need to feed photosynthetic corals. They will get all they need from the light. Coral 'foods' will simply foul up the water column and cause more issues.
As for a light, would you be looking to modify the lid or remove it to accommodate a light?

Okay that's good then!

Also I have a firefish so I don't want to get rid of my lid. He doesn't hangout by the top but it's a safety precaution just in case he decides to be rowdy. I am willing to get maybe a new lid though, something to protect my firefish but also allow for the light to penetrate

Back
Top Bottom