Lighting question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fischerman45

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay I currently have a 47 column tank with one 150watt metal hailide (sp?)
I'm moving to a regular 75 gal. I'm going to have my 150 watt on one opening and I was wondering what I should put on the other side it's a 24" gap. I need something to make a wide variety of mainly soft corals thrive hopefully w/0 breaking the bank

I was going to see if there was a cheaper option. Plus I didn't think I needed one that strong since my tank isn't as deep as my other one, thats why I had to get the first one.

a 150 watt halide is not very strong. i would at least want another of those. you could also sell the halide and purchase a 4 lamp t5 HO fixture.

What about keeping the 150 w MH and getting a 24" T5? How many bulbs will I need and about how much do you think? Or would it be better to just get a 48" t5 or even two 150w MH??

two 150 will work, but T5s are cheaper, the bulbs last longer and cheaper, just as powerful, some debate more powerful and you can play around with the light spectrum and give it the look you want.

its recommended 3-4" of tank surface per bulb, so i'd go with atleast a 4 lamp with individule reflectors

Back
Top Bottom