Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Everett Adams

Aquarium Advice Activist
Best place online to buy LR?
Ive already looked on Craigslist no one has any:-(
Have a 120 gallon tank with 100 pounds of base rock. How much LR should I add to the base rock?

Everything I've heard and been told says you should have at least 1 lb of live rock, preferably 1.5 lbs, per 1 gallon of water. So, at least another 20 lbs. I know, it gets pricey, but you really don't want to skimp on the live rock. It's super important for filtration.
I bought all my live rock at my Local Pet Store. But shop around. Driving an extra five minutes to a different petco yielded me a gorgeous chunk of LR with several types of algae, micro brittle stars, and even a couple tiny mussels. The tank really exploded into life (as much as a tank of just sand, water, and rock can) when I put that in.
You should also look into any local aquarium hobbyist groups, as they can give you better local information.
Again, get at least 20 lbs, preferably more like 50 lbs of Live Rock to add to the base rock and let the tank cycle completely.

How long have you had your tank cycled? Your base rock will become LR soon enough. If it were me, I would just keep checking CL and possibly ebay for just a little more LR. Don't forget to post that you are "looking for LR". People will contact you. I've traded out my LR for someone's base rock so they could get started with a good coralline rock with hitchhikers & filter feeders, and I could get a cool looking rock in exchange. I think I have about 240lbs of LR in my 125. I started off with base rock, then added about 20%LR. You can't even tell the difference between the two now in my DT.

Back
Top Bottom