LS over CC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrndHog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would it be a wise thing to layer my 75gal SW with 40lbs of CC and then put LS over that to make a 3 to 4 inch bed? I have this CC just sitting here and I wanted to use it.

If you add LS on top of the CC, the cc will rise to the top in short order. That is just the dynamics of sand and cc. Larger particles will always end up on top. So in short, no, I don't think it is a good idea.

I would concur with reef runner. As a matter of fact as much as I hate to admit it I also have a cc bottom due to prior bad advise from other sources(lfs) that I will be removing to replace with a dsb. I have thought about just trying to get most of it and that way not have to remove everything but I'm planning to remove everything living and the lr to strip the bottom and do the dsb correctly the first time so I don't have to do it again :)

you know... all argonite sand is, is CC that's been crushed a WHOLE LOT more... can anyone think of a way to crush the CC enough so that it wouldn't be a complete waste for this guy?

perhaps... southdown sand at home depot only costs about $4-$5 for a 50# bag... I just hate the thought of people wasting money on the CC they already have... :?

Back
Top Bottom