Mac's 20g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to chaos theory. The interesting thing about it, is that it continues until you hit your own reset button and relax. It happens. I remember when I upgraded to my Radions and burned 500 dollars worth of coral to death that I had ordered from LA's diver's den. Last week's hammer coral stinging the maxima clam I bought on my birthday and it dying...then it glopping out when cleaning it up was a disgusting mess too... Either way, I don't worry about it. This is a hobby for us to enjoy and relax, not create additional stress. If the tank is empty, just step away from it for a couple of days. Clean up the mess and come back to it.

It's a never ending battle but it's always worth fighting for! I finally got my tank going good then I look at my tank last night and somehow my hammer which was in the sand bed was flipped over and I saw the too of it floating in my tank but only one tenticle

Welcome to chaos theory. The interesting thing about it, is that it continues until you hit your own reset button and relax. It happens. I remember when I upgraded to my Radions and burned 500 dollars worth of coral to death that I had ordered from LA's diver's den. Last week's hammer coral stinging the maxima clam I bought on my birthday and it dying...then it glopping out when cleaning it up was a disgusting mess too... Either way, I don't worry about it. This is a hobby for us to enjoy and relax, not create additional stress. If the tank is empty, just step away from it for a couple of days. Clean up the mess and come back to it.

Haha, that's pretty good way to cheer people up! I read about the clam, must have really sucked. Your the best sniper!

It's a never ending battle but it's always worth fighting for! I finally got my tank going good then I look at my tank last night and somehow my hammer which was in the sand bed was flipped over and I saw the too of it floating in my tank but only one tenticle

It is. Having that peice of the ocean in your house is really rewarding if you can get it right.

Everyone's been through a crash ( or 3 :( ) but what's done is done so no sense letting it upset you. Look at it as a fresh start

Yeah 2 were due to a vacation and 2 different incompetent tank sitters. One was just me being a noob and dosing when I didn't need to because I listened to the guy at the fish store

Yeah, we've all listened to the dumb LFS people and ended up with a problem. I'm really nervous to leave for vacation... Every April and November I go up to NY, NYC, and Boston for two weeks...

Well, I got a scape that I actually like now. The tank is still foggy, but you can kind of see it. Not perfect yet, but it will do. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395866612.730483.jpg

I didn't have a heater in the tank last night (I had it in with the QT because that's where the fish were) and we had record colds for March in Florida. It got down to 30, so now the tank water is freezing. I am assuming that I won't have I recycle, because the rock is all established, right?

Hoping to pick up a new sand bed tomorrow! My lights are scheduled to arrive around 1:00pm. By then I hope to have the tank ready, and hopefully the live stock back in.

Today's been the most productive day since the mess. Thanks everyone for helping me there with your motivation! Your advice is always great!

Bad part is, my baby cousin is staying with us all week because the parents need to rest with the new child, and we are the closest to them. Hopefully my room won't turn into a beach again!

Now that I'm basically clear of stock, except one odd man out clown, I'm gonna change the tank to a NO CLOWN ZONE. I have enough clowns already. Gonna hope that some helfrichi Firefish go on sale soon. Can't afford to drop $100 on a fish!

Also highly considering a Tankas Pygmy Wrasse, and a hi-fin red banded goby.

My current blue dot will be staying in the 10g FOWLR, and the odd man out clown, being the only fish in the other 10 or being returned :(.

Wow that was a long write up. Oh, almost forgot! Starting to save for my future 40b-55g upgrade in the summer! Really excited for that!

Alright, the tank is all ready. Kind of foggy, but nothing that would affect the fish. New carbon, live rock in, and temp back to normal.

Since it's the same tank, and the rock was never out of water, no cycle, right?i really need to know, and I sound like a complete noob right now, because the fish will freeze in QT over night.

Keep at it. I know you have had a lot of frustrations so far but when it's all said and done you will enjoy the tank. If you stop now all that was for nothing :/

Just put the heater in the qt with them and dose the tank to check the bb

Last night I dosed it up to 4ppm. It's all into nitrate already... Which is good I guess. Did a 50% water change knocked the trates down from 45ppm to 10ppm. Did another 50% and now they are at 2ppm.

Lights are scheduled to arrive today! Pretty excited to get those. Have has quite a week with this tank. Now it's all back on track. Still a little bit cloudy from the sand left over on the rocks. Oh. Well. It should go away eventually.

The lights came in today! I have to figure out how to Hang them though. Also, can seems to figure out how to dim them. It says "double dimmer switch, Can adjust blue and huge light, one light dual effect." There is no dimmer switch though. Really mad.

Well, the lights aren't Dimmable. Even after it was all over the listing. Extremely mad, it's hard for me to get money as a teen. Now in flat out broke. I'm going to get covered buy the eBay buyers protection. So atleast I could get refunded and still keep the unit. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395959391.834962.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395959403.712594.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395959413.441128.jpg

Wishing I had money to just buy radions. Oh how great that would be, one can dream.

I got the full spectrum led 165w fixture and they are dimmable. I noticed you paid $100 for those light and I think I paid $130 for mine so I know there is a price difference but it isn't huge and I have heard nothing but good things about the fixture on here.

Well, the seller has offered to take the item for a full refund, and pay return shipping. So, it will be sent out tomorrow. I have enough with this tank this week. I'll just leave it be for a couple day.

Back
Top Bottom