Metal halides for my 46g. bow front please look

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flatzboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I have found a metal halide pc retrofit on ebay it has 2x96 watt pc actinics and a choice of either 2x175 watt mogul base metal halides or 2x250 watt mogul base metal halides. I would like to get the 250 watt ones but I am not sure if it will overheat my tank. I will have 2 fans blowing across the water anda 12g. refugium which should help keep my tank cool. Please give me your opinions on if you think my tank would over heat. I do not want to have to add a chiller.

what I did with my vho and my pc lighting was, I mounted an in-duct fan and screwed it into the canopy, it works great.

I run a 2x250 set up on my 75 gal with a fuge and sump. I have 2 3.5" pc fans blowing out and my water temp has been hitting 84.

If you vent it right, you should be ok. 250 seem to be the most popular but I am not sure the depth of a 46. 175's might be fine. Heat difference on the two might be neglible though.

Not much help on this sorry. If you have to pick get 250's. They would be easier to sell if you need to downgrade. 0X

It may it all depends on the ventilation in the hood. You live in a humid climate so evaporation will not be that high so that kind of hurts you a little. You can always try it.Chillers are prtty affordable now!

Anybody got any pics of their setup? I am thinking of adding MH to my 65 gal DAS soon.

About how much do chillers run for my size setup. Also my parents keep the airconditioner in my house at 72-77 degrees year round here in florida. I am gonna run it without the glass tops to.

if it's too hot, you can always just use 1 for now...then use 2 on a larger tank down the road...good move

Yeah my skimmer pump and refugium return pump are bothe external so I shouldn't get to much heat from there. I am gonna mount them in a canopy so the bottom of the bulb is 9 inches of the water.

A chiller for your size tank should be about $339 with out the pump to feed the water through it.

You could try some online sites usually they have preety good deals on the product and shipping. On BigAlsOnline they sell a chiller for 399.99 for up to fifty gallons. You can try other sites but BigAls is my favortie so i always try to refer to them. Anyway hope that helped it might seem expensive but you never want to get your water to warm.

Well i saw a chiller on BigAlsOnline for up to 50 gallons. It was 399.99 but their were others there to. This is a great site so i always try to refer back to it as much as i can. you might want to try other sites but i doubt your lfs will have better deals than the internet sites. Anyway hope that helped

Thanks everyone, I can't wait to get them there being shipped as we speak. I am gonna start building the canopy tommorrow or friday with my dad. I got friday off from school because of hurricane francis ( I hope it doesn't hit me). And I'm getting ready to order 2 4'' fans with cfm of 105 and 2 coralife power centers from hello lights. Thanks for everyones help.

Back
Top Bottom