Micro bubble with Red Sea Prizm skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raker333

Aquarium Advice Activist
My prot skimmer puts lots of micro bubbles in tank.
MFG suggest turning flow down until bubbles fade.

Problem is turning the flow down to that point means nothing is happening in reaction chamber.

No fish in tank yet just testing skimmer out.
Should problem go away after addition of livestock?

Protein skimmers have a "break in" period. Some will produce a ton of microbubbles initially, but the bubbles should lessen with time. HTH

Did you prime the skimmer? Because I had a mistake when I started my Prizm. I just put it on full blast and not even prime it. You will need to choke the airline tube by inserting it on the left airline tube insert located on the left side of the collection cup.

You will then see water filling up the inlet tube (the tube where water is flowing towards the skimmer). You will want to make sure that there aren't any air or bubbles in the inlet. Then once that equalizes, you quickly remove the airline tube from the left insert, then move it to the right insert. What this will do is suck in bubbles into the chambers.

Skimmer is not a water circulation tool by the way, so take it easy on the setting. Put it to max until you see the whirling of the water in the cone-shaped outlet inside the collection cup. Then reduce the setting slowly until you see the whirling subside to the "gasket" level (by the bottom of the cone). Then you should see dry suds coming out of the cone. That's it. No bubbles in the tank.

Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom