My new tank log, please advise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnestroy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Below are my test kit messurements, please let me know how things look, I am still waiting for things to cycle competely.

40 Galon Breeder
20 pounds of live rock
Tank avg temp 78

I'm very confused cause my readings appear to be all over the place.

tanklog.jpg

Yes I am aware of the "humane method" of cycling a tank, but 6 of the local pet stores told me to do it this way.

And since I already have fish, Is it better for me to flush them and throw a dead shrimp in there?

Do my numbers look like they are trending in the right direction?

Should I do anymore water changes?

Is it best to add more live rock now or wait until its done with the cycle?

Thanks

I wouldn't add any uncured rock at this point. That will just confound things, but fully cured rock could only help. At this point I think I would just monitor the ammonia and nitrite daily, do PWC's if anything tests positive. As far as the numbers trending the right way, the tank will cycle eventually regardless of what you do really. The focus now should be keeping the livestock alive and only the water changes are going to do that.

Rock

Can you explain the difference between cured and uncured rock?

If i buy live rock from my petstore that is one of their tanks with fish swimming would it be safe to assume its cured?

cured rock has been through a cycle and is free of any dead biomaterial that would decay and introduce ammonia in your tank. as long as you get it from the LFS to your tank relatively quickly you shouldnt see any die off.

uncured rock has been removed from water and the living creatures on the rock have died and have started to decay. once introduced into your tank the decay will continue and ammonia will show up in your water. eventually, the your cycle will run its course and the end result will be cured rock and a cycled tank.

mnestroy said:
Yes I am aware of the "humane method" of cycling a tank, but 6 of the local pet stores told me to do it this way.
and what happened... you bought a damsel, it died... you went back and bought 2 damsels. the LFS is in the business of selling you stuff, not necessarily giving you the best advice. yes, in a perfect world they would sell you what you needed and give you perfect advice. plus, most of the employees at the LFS are young kids with no experience keeping SW tanks, and they just tell you what someone has told them before... trust me, i used to work in retail electronics and the sales staff just makes something up if you ask questions that they dont know the answer to. i cant see it being any different in other retail settings.

the people here at AA are not in the business of making money. the people here love their pets and want other to take care of their pets and enjoy the hobby. the advice is usually good, especially when multiple people tell you the same advice... best bet would be to ask questions here, or at some other non-commercial forum, and evaluate the responses. then you can make an educated decision.

~mike

Back
Top Bottom